PDA

View Full Version : DIFFERENT FOOTER ON LAST PAGE

Greg
10-31-2009, 04:15 AM
Hi all,

I frequently prepare affidavits which contain footers (a small table) with dotted lines and text indicating where the deponent and witness must sign. The table also includes the firm name, address, phone, fax and reference number.

However, the last page does not need the signing places because the end of the affidavit has a special attestation clause and having two places to sign looks silly and causes confusion.

My hope is to eliminate the the signing places on the last page whilst still leaving the firm name, phone and so on. In other words I want to remove part of the table (2 rows) from the top of the table in the footer on the last page.

This would be a simple exercise if it weren't for the fact that the length of the affidavit (i.e. the number of pages) is always changing and the final page may or may not contain text as well as the attestation clause.

I would have thought this was a common problem but my search for a solution has been fruitless so far.

Can anyone help me?

Regards,

Greg.

lucas
10-31-2009, 09:34 AM
A little light reading for ya:

http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12932&highlight=DIFFERENT+FOOTER+ON+LAST+PAGE

http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-3170.html

Greg
11-01-2009, 07:00 PM
Dear Lucas,

Thank you for the references. I had in fact discovered those in my quest but I was unsure as to how they might be applied to my specific problem.

So that you can see what I am trying to do I have attached a copy of a typical document. I have changed the names and dates, etc to protect the innocent.

Upon reading the document you will see that the last page (excluding the annexures) contains a place for the deponent and justice of the peace to sign. It does not include a place for signing at the footer of the document because I inserted a section break on the previous page and changed the footer on the next page.

This process of deleting and inserting section breaks and changing "connect to last page" becomes laborious because the affidavits are almost always of a different length and require the section breaks to be in different positions to achieve the desired result.

My hope would be to do this dynamically to make sure that the last page of the affidavit is always different from the previous pages by deleting the first two rows of the footer that contains the signing places.

I am not skilful enough to achieve that result without some help. I hope you know the means by which it can be done.

Regards,

Greg.

lucas
11-02-2009, 07:57 AM
Greg, I didn't offer a solution because I don't have one. Headers and footers are a different animal in Word.

Here is another link that might help in your quest.

http://www.wiredbox.net/Forum/Thread111677_Insert_footer_in_last_page_using_VBA.aspx

I'm sure Gerry or one of the many Word guru's will come along soon and give us some clues.....

Greg
11-02-2009, 06:22 PM
Thanks Lucas. I have seen that link previously and thought it didn't deal with the question. I will have another look shortly. I think this is definitely one for Gerry.

macropod
11-03-2009, 01:24 AM
Hi Greg,

Interested in a non-vba solution? If so, try a field coded as:
{IF{PAGE}< {NUMPAGES} "your standard text"}
or, if you want different text on the last page:
{IF{PAGE}< {NUMPAGES} "your standard text" "your alternate text"}

Note: The field brace pairs (ie '{ }') for the above example are created via Ctrl-F9 - you can't simply type them or copy & paste them from this message.

fumei
11-03-2009, 09:35 AM
And there you go. There is of course a VBA solution, but macropod's field coding should do the trick for you.

Greg
11-14-2009, 09:35 PM
Thanks Gerry and Macropod but that does not help me when I am using footers with tables, bookmarks and fields. My situation is more complex.

I have looked high and low for a solution to this and I'm starting to think there isn't one. Or at least none on the net.

Gerry, you say there is a VBA solution. If so will it work with my particular document? Have a look at my document and you'll see that the number of pages will vary depending on the document's contents and I need to enter information into the first page footer (a table) via a Userform which is then replicated via reference fields.

For these reasons I don't think Macropod's solution will work.

If you know how to solve this issue with code, please share your knowledge.

Regards,

Greg.

macropod
11-14-2009, 10:27 PM
Hi Greg,

I don't think Macropod's solution will work.
Please consider the attached.

geekgirlau
11-16-2009, 10:18 PM
I'm sure I've come across those guys on many occasions - they must have offices everywhere! :evillol:

Greg
11-16-2009, 10:44 PM
Thanks Macropod, I have just tried your document but I'm not sure what you intended. I'll persevere but perhaps you could also check it and make sure it does what you had in mind. Greg.

macropod
11-16-2009, 10:59 PM
Hi Greg,

The document I uploaded does exactly what I understood that you wanted. That is, the lines for the deponent & witness signatures appear in the footer of the first two pages, but not on the third (which is the last page in that Section - note that I removed your Section breaks from that part of the affidavit). Plus, the 'general' footer, which I've bookmarked, exists only in the first Section and is picked up via a REF field for replication in the 2nd & subsequent Sections.

If you wanted something different, please post back.

Greg
11-16-2009, 11:19 PM
Sorry to be difficult. You seem to have understood the problem correctly but I am not sure why you split the table separating the signing areas from the firm's details. Also, my bookmark for "txtReference" in the Userform has been displaced in favour of a bookmark named "StdFooter" which has dislodged itself on you document so that it is half way between the split table referred to above and the actual text of the bookmark. Have another look and you'll see what I mean. So, I'm not quite sure what you had intended. Having said you may be close to a solution. Greg.

macropod
11-17-2009, 01:46 AM
Hi Greg,

I split the table tomake it possible to control the display/non-display of the lines for the deponent & witness signatures. That's easy enough to see if you examine the field code, which you can do via Alt-F9.

The bookmark named "StdFooter" hasn't dislodged itself on the document - it starts on the paragraph above the lower table and includes the lower table. I did it that way to simplify the forcing of an 18pt space between the last row of text on the page and the footer table. If you'd rather not include the leading paragraph in the bookmarked range, you can of course do something else.

I can see that there was a 'Reference' bookmark, which seems to have been deleted (the cross-reference field that's been left in its place shows 'Error! Reference source not found.'). It's easy enough to reinstate the bookmark, though. Do that and delete the errant cross-reference field, then everything should work fine.