PDA

View Full Version : Filter data

av8tordude
11-11-2009, 01:28 PM
Can any one help out with a code that will filter out numbers listed in column C that are attached to a particular aircraft that is listed in column B, filter out duplicates and list those numbers in column AC. Since column B will some aircraft listed multiple times and this same aircraft will have the numbers listed multiple times the code should only list the numbers attach to this aircraft list once. The code would trigger when I select the aircraft in the cell in column B.

Ex.

EMB145 270SK
EMB145 370SK
EMB145 370SK
EMB145 11345
EMB145 270SK
C172 910JH
C172 926JH
CL65 701BR

Aircraft Selected: EMB145
Results in Column AC:

270SK
370SK

Thanks in advance

mdmackillop
11-11-2009, 02:23 PM
Are we all to spend time creating our own sample spreadsheet?

av8tordude
11-11-2009, 02:27 PM
I thought this was place to get help?

mdmackillop
11-11-2009, 02:35 PM
It is, but spending time recreating your data is not an effective use of my time.

av8tordude
11-11-2009, 02:41 PM
Its seems you are not having a good day and you want to take your frustration out on someone. Unfortunately that type of attitude deminish the purpose of this forum. Besides, while I'm still seeking a solution to my problem, I don't recall specifically asking help from you. If have no desire to help or provide a conduit to people are seeking help, the best thing to do is not respond.

geekgirlau
11-11-2009, 04:27 PM
Actually the request is reasonable: from experience we know that not having a sample workbook results in more questions as we are forced to guess the structure of your data and make lots of assumptions. mdmackillop spends hours of his time on this forum assisting people for free, and we are very fortunate to be able to call upon his expertise.

I've done a quick recorded macro just using the built-in advanced filter function. There is no cleanup of previously extracted data, or method of prompting for the aircraft as I do not have sufficient information at this stage.

Range("MyData").AdvancedFilter Action:=xlFilterCopy, CriteriaRange:=Range( _
"Crit"), CopyToRange:=Range("AC1"), Unique:=True

Aussiebear
11-14-2009, 05:33 PM
Its seems you are not having a good day and you want to take your frustration out on someone. Unfortunately that type of attitude deminish the purpose of this forum. Besides, while I'm still seeking a solution to my problem, I don't recall specifically asking help from you. If have no desire to help or provide a conduit to people are seeking help, the best thing to do is not respond.

Hi av8tordude, I think you need to declare a "go around" of this approach of yours. A simple request to provide a sample workbook, was done for a number of reasons, primarily to overcome any confusion as to either the data, its layout , or the code that may lie behind the workbook when compared to the request of the person asking for assistance. I take this opportunity to ask you to give some consideration to this matter before posting again.

Secondly and more importantly, when posting to a public forum, anyone has the opportunity to respond. This forum continues to thrive because we have a significant number of active participants who willing give both time and effort to promote the use of VBA. MD's contribution to this forum is held in the highest regard, and comments made by you are unhelpful.

Others who operate here may, because of your comments, be very reluctant to offer assistance to you in the future.

av8tordude
11-14-2009, 09:28 PM
A simple request to provide a sample workbook

Are we all to spend time creating our own sample spreadsheet?

IMO this is not an eloquent way of requesting for information, but a sarcastic remark with the intent of inciting confrontation. If the intent was to request a sample workbook, how difficult is it to ask?

As for the purpose of this forum, I am grateful for the help I received in the past, ESPECIALLY from mdmackillop as he has offer his expertise to me in the past.

But its water under the bridge and I hope if in the future when trying to convey a message, I think it would best to clearly ask specifically what information you're requesting so that there will be no further misunderstanding.

Aussiebear
11-14-2009, 09:58 PM
This thread is now closed