PDA

View Full Version : 3D Chart

jmenche
11-11-2009, 01:32 PM
A client handed me a chart from a magazine that was basically a 3D bar chart but the bar height meant something too...is this possible to do in Excel somehow? It does not seem like Excel can support this type of chart.

Thanks!
:beerchug:

mdmackillop
11-11-2009, 02:21 PM
Why not post an image to give some clear idae of what you are after. Some data might not go amiss if you are looking at a specfic example.

Bob Phillips
11-11-2009, 02:25 PM
And whilst you are doing so, never use 3D charts, at best they have meaningless chart junk, at worst they obscure data.

jmenche
11-11-2009, 02:34 PM
grrr....i only have a pdf and i cannot upload it....can someone give me an email address?.....otherwise...imagine a bar chart that has a brand's dollar share...but then the bar goes up based on the actual dollar sales....so basically the width of the bar is the brand's share and the height of the bar is the brand's sales

mdmackillop
11-11-2009, 02:36 PM
Can you zip the pdf? You could then attach it.

jmenche
11-11-2009, 02:39 PM
good idea! here ya go.....a client asked me to do this so that's why i'm asking

:beerchug:

hardlife
11-11-2009, 02:41 PM
Hi, me suppose this is not possible to do in excel exactly this chart :hi:

Pavel

hardlife
11-11-2009, 04:02 PM
another chart :hi:

Bob Phillips
11-11-2009, 04:26 PM
You know, I looked at tat 3D chart and tried to get information, but failed. I cannot see any differentiation in the values for Ford, GM, Honda and Chrysler (not helped with wrong images alongside the names), and could barely notice a differentiation Toyota. The fact that you had to add the values as datalabels makes me think that it is better served as a table, and lo and behold, I see you have a pivot table that shows all that data in a digestible way.

A waste of time, worse an obfuscation of information.

geekgirlau
11-11-2009, 04:32 PM
Unless of course you are trying to disguise information. Can be helpful in annual reports showing company financial results in trying economic circumstances :devil2:

xld, I'm going to attempt to use "obfuscation" in a sentence at least 3 times today!

Bob Phillips
11-11-2009, 05:03 PM
Unless of course you are trying to disguise information. Can be helpful in annual reports showing company financial results in trying economic circumstances :devil2:

Now what sort of devious, financial organisation would ... oops, answered my own question.

xld, I'm going to attempt to use "obfuscation" in a sentence at least 3 times today!

Let us know your progress :yes