PDA

View Full Version : Excel - WebBrowser Control - Vista/IE7

mehuljshah
11-22-2009, 07:32 AM
Hello,

I have an Excel sheet (created and working fine in Office XP, Windows XP and IE6 environment) that has an embeded MS WebBrowser Control. I use this sheet to fetch share prices from Yahoo Finance web site. The website gives the details of requested scripts as a CSV (Comma Seperated Values) file.

The approach that I had used included embeding a WebBrowser control in an Excel document, provide the list of scripts for which I need the prices in a URL, get the details as a CSV and parse the data and show it in Excel documents.

This sheet is working fine in previous environment of Office/Windows XP and IE 6. However, I have recently purchased a new laptop and have Vista Home Basic, Office XP and IE 7.

Now, when I try to fetch the data, I get an error message "Internet Explorer can not download". I tried hard - but not able to figure of what/where is the problem. I have tried disabling my firewall, antivirus but no use. Please help

thanks,
Mehul

rjndra
11-22-2009, 10:34 PM
r u able to open the same page in IE ?

mehuljshah
11-23-2009, 05:39 AM
Yes I can. When I do it from IE, it asks me to save a CSV file.

Thanks,
Mehul

JP2112
11-23-2009, 08:10 AM
Make sure your VBA project (specifically, the WebBrowser control) is referencing shdocvw.dll, not ieframe.dll.

Also, you might want to consider using one of the free add-ins already available to pull stock quotes. Here's one:

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/smf_addin/

mehuljshah
11-30-2009, 04:54 AM
Refering to shdocvw.dll didnt help - infact Excel came back saying something like there are not activeX control available.

However, THANKS A LOT for refering me to the smf_addin. Fantastic set of functions - It worked for me the first time!!!

Thanks a lot.