PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Text from mutliline txtbox to merged cell

pcsparky
12-05-2009, 10:43 AM
I want the user to be able to use the enter button in a multiline textbox, which works fine.

But when I send that data to a merged cell, Excel doesn't recognise the use of the enter button for a new line and creates a small square. The font is Arial but others produce same result.

I know that you can use Alt+Enter in a cell but is there any way around this when sending the data?

Basically I want the user to be able to type grammatically and be shown accordingly in the cell.

I have also tried sending the text to a sheet textbox but that displays the line break as the new paragraph symbol.

Paul_Hossler
12-05-2009, 11:46 AM
Got a small sample workbook?

Paul

lucas
12-05-2009, 12:42 PM
Here's an example that I threw together. I see no squares in it.

Maybe it's how you set the range value.

mikerickson
12-05-2009, 03:21 PM
Have you tried replacing Chr(10) with Chr(13) or vice versa?

pcsparky
12-06-2009, 04:43 AM
Thanks guys. The example xlsm wb didn't work as I could still see the squares. But I did use it to play around with alternatives.

I did manage to sort it with a slight alteration to MikeRickson's suggestion. Replacing Chr(13) with Chr(10) produces two line breaks but does get rid of the squares.

This does the trick though:

Range("A1") = Replace(TextBox1.Text, Chr(13), "")

GTO
12-06-2009, 05:01 PM
Hi pcsparky,

I see that you solved it, nicely done :thumb

I believe that (leastwise in WIN) a hard return produced by using the Enter key whilst in a multiline textbox, produces a combination Chr(13) + Chr(10).

Using Steve's example wb:
Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
Range("A1") = Replace(TextBox1.Value, Chr(13), "")
Unload Me
End Sub
If you put a breakpoint at the top of the procedure, you will see two little squares (at ea hard return) while holding the cursor over Textbox1.Value; the first is the Chr(13), the second of course, the Chr(10).

Have a great day :-)

Mark