PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Really Stupid Question

Saladsamurai
12-07-2009, 03:12 PM
Is there a 'setting' somewhere in Excel that will make it so Excel displays name of the currently selected range?

A lot of the time I find myself 'scrolling' back and forth up and down just trying to determine what range it is that I have selected so I can use it in a function.

So, I was thinking Excel already thought of this and lists it somewhere?

Example, I select A2:B4 and somewhere on the screen it says "A2:B4"

mdmackillop
12-07-2009, 03:41 PM
Insert this in ThisWorkbook module

Private Sub Workbook_SheetSelectionChange(ByVal Sh As Object, ByVal Target As Range)
If Target.Cells.Count > 1 Then
Application.StatusBar = Sh.Name & "!" & Target.Address
Else
Application.StatusBar = ""
End If
End Sub

p45cal
12-08-2009, 06:26 AM
Is there a 'setting' somewhere in Excel that will make it so Excel displays name of the currently selected range?

A lot of the time I find myself 'scrolling' back and forth up and down just trying to determine what range it is that I have selected so I can use it in a function.

So, I was thinking Excel already thought of this and lists it somewhere?

Example, I select A2:B4 and somewhere on the screen it says "A2:B4"
If while you compose your function you get this far, eg. =SUM(
then at this point you use your mouse or keyboard cursor keys to select a range, the range address shows in the formula bar, and, if you've allowed editing in the cell, in the cell itself, once the range is right you continue by closing the parentheses.. or have I missed the point?

Bob Phillips
12-08-2009, 07:54 AM
Better still, if you just click the Autosum button with your selection, it will build a simple sum function for your range. Note it and escape.

arkusM
12-09-2009, 10:25 AM
This is sweet.

Insert this in ThisWorkbook module

Private Sub Workbook_SheetSelectionChange(ByVal Sh As Object, ByVal Target As Range)
If Target.Cells.Count > 1 Then
Application.StatusBar = Sh.Name & "!" & Target.Address
Else
Application.StatusBar = ""
End If
End Sub