PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] determining user input

drawworkhome
01-04-2010, 08:55 PM
hi all,
the boss has asked me to see if it is possible to just allow users to enter data and not let them delete any. my question to you is: in your experience is it better to use the protect sheet function or is there some vba events (like worksheet_change or worksheet_selectionchange) that suits the request better? i have used the worksheet selectionchange event before and really dont think that is the way to go as there will be multiple cell entries and dont want to have to go thru checking it with every cell. i have not used the worksheet change event so not sure what to expect there. any ideas?
this is just a simple spreadsheet with no formulas, just text.
thank you for your time.
erik

lucas
01-04-2010, 09:11 PM
Raises a few questions.

Are you inputing from a userform? If so you can let them input the data and then protect the entire sheet when the form closes.

Are you saving each persons entry to a named sheet? Do you use a template sheet?

I think there will be lots of opinions on whether sheet protection is enough, after all, Excel is not that secure....

If it's basic users that are not likely to tamper with it then sheet protection should be all that's needed....

drawworkhome
01-04-2010, 09:19 PM
Raises a few questions.

Are you inputing from a userform? If so you can let them input the data and then protect the entire sheet when the form closes.

Are you saving each persons entry to a named sheet? Do you use a template sheet?

I think there will be lots of opinions on whether sheet protection is enough, after all, Excel is not that secure....

If it's basic users that are not likely to tamper with it then sheet protection should be all that's needed....
the data is entered directly to the sheet. i had not thought of using a user form. this is not a templete sheet, just a sheet with some info added to it. we use it to track jobs we are bidding. problem is that some person has deleted some info from it so the boss wants its so people can just add info, not delete. i did not want to go thru the irm process or anything fancy like that.

lucas
01-04-2010, 09:23 PM
That might be a little difficult. I'm not sure how you would allow them to enter data but not be able to delete it when directly accessing the sheet.

Seems that even if they altered the data that it could have consequenses.

drawworkhome
01-04-2010, 09:32 PM
That might be a little difficult. I'm not sure how you would allow them to enter data but not be able to delete it when directly accessing the sheet.

Seems that even if they altered the data that it could have consequenses.

i agree. that is why i like the user form and then protecting the sheet or workbook. you can look but not touch....

lucas
01-04-2010, 09:33 PM
Does the data get added a row at a time?

drawworkhome
01-04-2010, 09:35 PM
Does the data get added a row at a time?
yes it does, about 5 columns worth.

lucas
01-04-2010, 09:48 PM
The attached example works for 3 columns but it's easy to configure for more when you get a look at it....

Just a quick and dirty example that you may be able to adjust to your needs.

drawworkhome
01-04-2010, 09:51 PM
thank you lucas.