PDA

View Full Version : Highlights Duplicate Entries

krishhi
01-10-2010, 02:42 AM
hello Folks, I have written a macro to highlight duplicates and it works good. But i don't want to highlight the empty cell. My macro shows and highlights the next blank as duplicate. How do i overcome this issue.

Below is my code

Sub IDENTIFY_duplicates()

Dim i As Integer, j As Integer
Dim lr As Integer
Dim n As String
n = InputBox("Enter the column to Delete Duplicates")
lr = ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Rows.Count

For i = 1 To lr
For j = i + 1 To lr

If Range(n & j).Value = Range(n & i).Value Then
Range(n & j).Interior.ColorIndex = 4
End If

Next
Next
MsgBox ("Done")

End Sub

Any Help?

Krrish

mikerickson
01-10-2010, 02:56 AM
One loop is sufficiant.
For i = 1 To lr
With Range(n & i)
If (Application.CountIf(Range(n & ":" & n), .Value) > 1) And (.Value <> vbNullString) Then
.Interior.ColorIndex = 4
End If
End With
Next

p45cal
01-10-2010, 03:04 AM
Sub IDENTIFY_duplicates()

Dim i As Integer, j As Integer
Dim lr As Integer
Dim n As String
n = InputBox("Enter the column to Delete Duplicates")
lr = ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Rows.Count

For i = 1 To lr
For j = i + 1 To lr
If Range(n & j).Value <> Empty Then
Range(n & j).Interior.ColorIndex = 4
End If
End If
Next
Next
MsgBox ("Done")

End Sub

krishhi
01-10-2010, 03:07 AM
wow... Very Quick Replies,

Thank you very much guys.:friends:

p45cal
01-10-2010, 03:13 AM
One loop is sufficiant.
For i = 1 To lr
With Range(n & i)
If (Application.CountIf(Range(n & ":" & n), .Value) > 1) And (.Value <> vbNullString) Then
.Interior.ColorIndex = 4
End If
End With
Next

Not quite the same, mikerickson..:whip
Yours highlights all duplicates whereas krishni's only highlights duplicates after the first instance - this might be important if users are subsequently deleting highlighted rows/cells.

krishhi
01-10-2010, 03:16 AM
Yours highlights all duplicates whereas krishni's only highlights duplicates after the first instance - this might be important if users are subsequently deleting highlighted rows/cells.

Yes You are right p45cal

Thanks for the Solution.

Simon Lloyd
01-10-2010, 06:00 AM
Why use VBA at all? Excel does this easily using conditional formatting and with less overhead or performance issues, although conditional formatting is by its very nature a volatile function.

Give your data range a dynamic name (see here for how to create a dynamic named range http://www.contextures.com/xlNames01.html )
Highlight your data, then from the menubar FORMAT>CONDITIONAL FORMATTING, choose formula is and enter this =COUNTIF(MyRange,B2)>1, for an explanation on highlighting duplicates look here http://www.cpearson.com/excel/Duplicates.aspx

krishhi
01-10-2010, 06:04 AM
Why use VBA at all? Excel does this easily using conditional formatting and with less overhead or performance issues, although conditional formatting is by its very nature a volatile function.

Give your data range a dynamic name (see here for how to create a dynamic named range http://www.contextures.com/xlNames01.html )
Highlight your data, then from the menubar FORMAT>CONDITIONAL FORMATTING, choose formula is and enter this =COUNTIF(MyRange,B2)>1, for an explanation on highlighting duplicates look here http://www.cpearson.com/excel/Duplicates.aspx

Hi Simon, :hi:

Ya I know there is conditional formating tool in excel. But i want to go through the macro. why Because i am learning vba. :cool:

mikerickson
01-10-2010, 11:09 AM
This should fix that.
If (Application.CountIf(Range(n & "1:" & n & i), .Value) > 1) And (.Value <> vbNullString) Then

krishhi
02-13-2010, 12:21 AM
Hello again,,

I have another problem here, When the row contains the same string like "krish" in A1 and "KRISH" in A8. The Macro Only considers they are unique values. It doesn't show the second one as duplicate.

Any Idea?

:help

p45cal
02-13-2010, 12:18 PM
mikerickson' amendment should work as it's not case sensitive.
For mine use:
If UCase(Range(n & j).Value) = UCase(Range(n & i).Value) Then instead of

krishhi
02-14-2010, 06:15 AM
mikerickson' amendment should work as it's not case sensitive.
For mine use:
If UCase(Range(n & j).Value) = UCase(Range(n & i).Value) Then instead of

Thanks for the reply, I want to know why this code taken as ucase and lcase as different.

Any Clear Help on this? :(

p45cal
02-14-2010, 06:40 AM
Thanks for the reply, I want to know why this code taken as ucase and lcase as different.

Any Clear Help on this? :(
I don't understand the question. Is it working or not? You could use lcase or ucase, as long as you use the same one on each side of the = sign.

Clear Help will be provided on a Clear Question

krishhi
02-14-2010, 08:46 AM
I don't understand the question. Is it working or not? You could use lcase or ucase, as long as you use the same one on each side of the = sign.

Clear Help will be provided on a Clear Question

Let me explain clearly. Why my macro doesn't work with Lower case words and upper case words combination. like,
for example:
in a1 : krish
in a5: KRISH.

When i run my macro it says there is no duplicate. then we need to add ur code i.e. lcase and ucase.

p45cal
02-14-2010, 03:39 PM
When i run my macro it says there is no duplicate. then we need to add ur code i.e. lcase and ucase. The code

has the equals sign as a comparator, KrisHHi is not equal to krishhi, so the condition returns FALSE.
However,
UCASE("KrisHHi") is "KRISHHI", and
UCASE("krishhi") is "KRISHHI". These are the same so the comparison returns TRUE.

You could use LCASE instead of UCASE, in which case both would be krishhi.

krishhi
02-14-2010, 10:08 PM
The code

has the equals sign as a comparator, KrisHHi is not equal to krishhi, so the condition returns FALSE.
However,
UCASE("KrisHHi") is "KRISHHI", and
UCASE("krishhi") is "KRISHHI". These are the same so the comparison returns TRUE.

You could use LCASE instead of UCASE, in which case both would be krishhi.

Oh, atlast i got it, thank you very much. p4scal. By the way where can i get vba complete msdn. do u have any idea?