PDA

View Full Version : Excel 2007 Crashes a LOT!

Cyberdude
01-12-2010, 12:32 PM
Has anyone else noticed that Excel 2007 crashes a LOT? I just got the now familiar notice that Excel (2007) has "stopped working". And when it says "stopped" that's what it means' I had 4 Excel tasks running and Task Manager was unable to stop any of them. This is becoming a regular occurrence lately. I thought 2007 was supposed to be an improvement over 2003. IT'S NOT!

Paul_Hossler
01-12-2010, 05:44 PM
FWIW, I've been using 2007 for quite awhile, both at home and at work.

It will very occasionally stop working for me. BUT ... most times I'm just impatient.

2007 has a million+ rows and 16k+ columns, so if you ask it to do something that affect a gazillion cells, it might look like it stuck, but really could be in a tight loop.

Under Options, Advanced there's

Alert the user when a potentially time consuming operation occurs Select if you want to be notified when an operation affects a large number of cells and may take a long time to process.

When this number of cells (in thousands) is affected Lets you specify the maximum number of cells that are affected by an operation without being notified. If more cells than the maximum number of cells are affected, you are notified.

Out of the box, it's 33554 and I assume it's (in thousands) so that could be a lot of cells. Maybe crank that down ans see

Even simple things that I was used to doing in 2003 like selecting a column and appling formatting or something like that, can be tricky with 2007, since now it's not 65K cells, but 1M cells

Just some thoughts

Paul

Cyberdude
01-12-2010, 09:30 PM
I didn't even mention all the crashes that are automatically recovered when I try to use an old 2003 macro.
But lately I've had to do a machine restart in order to recover from some Excel crashes. I have a brand new super dooper computer with 8 GB of ram. Excel doesn't seem to be using that ram to good advantage.