PDA

View Full Version : Excel 2007/2003 files access

clvestin
01-13-2010, 11:41 AM
I've been having no luck saving Excel 2007 file as 97-2003 files. I'm missing some obvious point, I'm sure. The sheets seem to open well enough. When opening the file with Excel 2003, the vba routines stick at my first variable declaration. Naturally, the references are all for Excel 11.0 Object Library.
If anyone has any thoughts, please share.

Cyberdude
01-14-2010, 06:14 PM
I'm a newbie with Win 7 and Excel 2007, and I too am having trouble figuring out how to save files. Nothing I do seems right, so I have 4 or 5 copies of each file as I keep changing file names in order to do a save. I never know whether the save will work or not. And when it does, the next time I open it I get a lot of messages from Excel that I don't understand.
I'd be happy if someone would tell me which option to choose when I do a save.

And Excel 2007 is frequently sending me the message that "Excel has stopped working", then it goes into a wait that could be 5 minutes or the rest of the day while it tries to recover. I am quite amazed that more people haven't complained about that. I figure I've lost about 10 years of programming macros because Excel has crashed so often.

And who is it that thinks the "Ribbon" allows us to cut down on keystrokes?? I can never seem to find the command I need.

Similarly I have great difficulty trying to find a file using Windows Explorer. That used to be a great program. Even Search is a hassle. You have to know exactly where to look or Search will fail. If I knew where to look, I wouldn't need Search most of the time.

Sorry for unloading like this, but it's been a bad day. (My new keyboard won't send a period.)

Sid

clvestin
01-18-2010, 10:23 AM
I did find a missing reference to the Outlook 12.0 Object Model. I unselected it and all was well. Why would it miss the Outlook reference when Word, Excel 12.0 translated to my Excel 11.0 version? Things that make you say "Huh".

austenr
01-19-2010, 02:20 PM
Sid, I never understood why they didn't leave well enough alone. There is a steep learning curve for the average user (and even for the experienced sometimes) from 2003 to 2007. It's all about the money.