PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Primary Key Criteria in the WHERE clause!

afh110
01-14-2010, 10:22 AM
Hi all,

ok im getting a "Type Miss Match" Error when i try to run this snap of code:

I know that the problem is in the RecordKey section in the query. RecordKey value is tobe compared to the 'Key' field in the Activity_Log table. the 'Key' field is of type AutoNumber and RecordKey is of type Integer! How can i solve this issue?

Dim db as DAO.Database
Dim rs as DAO.recordset
Dim strResult as String
Dim User as String
Dim RecordKey as Integer

User="Admin"
RecordKey="4"

strResult = "Select * from Activity_Log Where Creation_User='" + User + "' AND Key='" + RecordKey + "');"

Set db = CurrentDb
Set rs = db.OpenRecordset(strResult)

OBP
01-14-2010, 10:33 AM
If me memory serves me correctly, Autonumbers are type Long.
Does the code work with just the User, as the code for using a Form's Field would normally be
strResult = "Select * from Activity_Log Where Creation_User=" & me.User
It does not have the "); on the end.
Here is an example
Dim er As Double, rs As Object, SQL As String
SQL = "SELECT LabourRates.* " & _
"FROM LabourRates " & _
"WHERE Date1 <= #" & Format(Me.Date, "mm/dd/yyyy") & "#" & _
"And Date2 > #" & Format(Me.Date, "mm/dd/yyyy") & "#"
Set rs = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset(SQL)
er = rs.EndUserRate
rs.Close
Set rs = Nothing

OBP
01-14-2010, 10:34 AM
Or
Dim SQL As String
zeroes = "000000": year = Format(Date, "yyyy"): month = Format(Date, "mm")
SQL = "SELECT Que_CallNumber.* " & _
"FROM Que_CallNumber " & _
"WHERE DealerCode = " & Me.Dealercode
Set rs = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset(SQL)

afh110
01-14-2010, 10:38 AM
The code works fine without the RecordKey! it works just fine with the User as the only parameter.

I tried setting RecordKey to type Long, but still the same error!

OBP
01-14-2010, 10:54 AM
OK, remove the ' from around the RecordKey, as in
strResult = "Select * from Activity_Log Where Creation_User='" + User + "' AND Key=" + RecordKey + ");"

afh110
01-14-2010, 11:10 AM
Nope.. same error. I really think it has more to do with the Dim type (Integer/Long..ect)

CreganTur
01-14-2010, 12:07 PM
Looking at your original code I see one obvious error:

RecordKey="4" '<<<Why are you trying to pass in a string value for an Int?

Try this code:
Dim db as DAO.Database
Dim rs as DAO.recordset
Dim strResult as String
Dim User as String
Dim RecordKey as Long

User = "Admin"
RecordKey = 4

strResult = "Select * from Activity_Log Where Creation_User='" + User + "' AND Key=" + RecordKey + ");"

Set db = CurrentDb
Set rs = db.OpenRecordset(strResult)

See if that takes care of the issue.

afh110
01-14-2010, 02:49 PM
Hi Randy,

your right about my typo... the "4" is a string in this case, but just just typed it to as an example. In my actual code, RecordKey is getting its value from a combo box which i then do a Cint() to convert it to an integer and load it into RecordKey. (Recordkey=cint(comboBox.value))

but the primary issue remains.. VBA doesnt like me trying to pass RecordKey of type int or long as a parameter for the Key column in my table of type AutoNumber

Imdabaum
01-14-2010, 03:01 PM
Hi Randy,

your right about my typo... the "4" is a string in this case, but just just typed it to as an example. In my actual code, RecordKey is getting its value from a combo box which i then do a Cint() to convert it to an integer and load it into RecordKey. (Recordkey=cint(comboBox.value))

but the primary issue remains.. VBA doesnt like me trying to pass RecordKey of type int or long as a parameter for the Key column in my table of type AutoNumber

Have you tried that same code with Clng(comboBox.value)?

afh110
01-14-2010, 03:03 PM
Hi Randy,

afh110
01-14-2010, 03:07 PM
I just tried using Clng() but still the same damn error!!!!

afh110
01-14-2010, 03:16 PM
Hi Randy,

OBP
01-15-2010, 07:06 AM
Why not post a simplified version of your database in Access 2003 format for us to work with?

Imdabaum
01-15-2010, 09:24 AM
I just tried using Clng() but still the same damn error!!!!

I've never used + as a method for concatination in VBA. Does it work the same way & does?

afh110
01-15-2010, 10:18 AM
Trying to upload the DB but its just not letting me! My internet connection is crap. Anything else i can do other than DB to help u help me :D?

OBP
01-15-2010, 10:46 AM
Did you mean to post an Attachment?

Imdabaum
01-15-2010, 10:51 AM
Trying to upload the DB but its just not letting me! My internet connection is crap. Anything else i can do other than DB to help u help me :D?

Did you zip it first?
Also compacting it before you zip might help trim it down.

afh110
01-15-2010, 11:27 AM
I did that already. tried again, not workin!!

afh110
01-15-2010, 02:42 PM
Ok for some odd reason now everything works! so two points to sum it all up
1- Set the Variable that is carrying in the RecordKey to type Long
2- remove the single quotes around the RecordKey in the Sql query as in
" Where Activity_Log.Key=" & RecordKey &";"
vs.
"Where Activity_Log.Key='" & RecordKey &"';"

pretty much what you guys recommended, but i guess i was missing something . But not it works :)
Thanks to you all

Imdabaum
01-15-2010, 02:44 PM
Congrats.