PDA

View Full Version : Weird Add-in Error

Djblois
01-27-2010, 12:45 PM
I have a folder on our network drive that holds all the versions of my excel add-in; users go to that folder to install the newest version. Not a problem - actually pretty simple. However, some people have been getting the reference to the folder where the add-in is supposed to be stored switched to this location. This is causing them to get an error everytime they open up Excel. Is it a registry key or something else that I can fix it?

Jan Karel Pieterse
01-28-2010, 04:36 AM
When installing an addin, excel offers to copy the addin to the local addins folder. Do your users typically do that?

Here is what I'd do:

- have a production folder which holds the current add-in, which always has the same filename
- make sure the addin file is marked readonly
- when you have a new addin, replace the existing one on the production folder. You should be able to do that during production because the file is marked readonly and hence not locked when people open it when they fire up excel.
- On each system ensure the addin is installed BUT CLICK NO WHEN EXCEL WANTS TO COPY IT.

For people working offline this poses a problem of course.
Maybe this helps:
www.jkp-ads.com/articles/updateanaddin.asp (http://www.jkp-ads.com/articles/updateanaddin.asp)

Djblois
01-28-2010, 06:29 AM
Ok Thank you - that does help. However, one issue it causes now everytime they open excel it gives an error saying it is not in the add-in folder. Can I disable that error somehow?

krishhi
01-28-2010, 08:47 AM
do one thing,

First disable the add-in from the add-in menu (excel options), now browse the add-in and add.