PDA

View Full Version : system dsn

philfer
01-30-2010, 07:15 AM
Hello,

I am trying to connect Access to a piece of commercial software.

Nothing appears in the reference box in the VBA VBE but if I go into Control Panel I can see it listed in System DSN.

My question is really where do I go from here in order to be able to able to connect to it with a MS Office product

Any advice/tips/links/help (in fact anything at all!!!!) would be appreciated.

Thanks
Phil

orange
01-30-2010, 08:22 AM
Hello,

I am trying to connect Access to a piece of commercial software.

Nothing appears in the reference box in the VBA VBE but if I go into Control Panel I can see it listed in System DSN.

My question is really where do I go from here in order to be able to able to connect to it with a MS Office product

Any advice/tips/links/help (in fact anything at all!!!!) would be appreciated.

Thanks
Phil

Are there any instructions/descriptive info included with the commercial software? Does it indicate it connects with MS via ODBC?

philfer
01-30-2010, 08:57 AM
Hi Orange,

Unfortunately there are no instructions and I'm kind of flying blind.

I was considering poking around to see what happens (a bit scared I might break something though!!!)

I have a username and password for the software so was going to try and use that somehow?!?!

Do you think thats a good idea?
Phil

orange
01-30-2010, 06:49 PM
Hi Orange,

Unfortunately there are no instructions and I'm kind of flying blind.

I was considering poking around to see what happens (a bit scared I might break something though!!!)

I have a username and password for the software so was going to try and use that somehow?!?!

Do you think thats a good idea?
Phil

Can you try it with a small "disposable" database?

Imdabaum
02-01-2010, 11:00 AM
What is the commercial software? Do they have a support number?
It seems odd that a commercial product would not give you instructions on how to do it... at least a readme.txt file.

Maybe I don't understand the entire issue though.