PDA

View Full Version : Need EASY help with a plot

Saladsamurai
01-31-2010, 04:34 PM
I am presuming that there is a super-easy way to do this, but google has me running in circles.

i have created a bunch of Column Charts using the "Data Series" option as opposed to "Data Range." As you can see i the screenshot below, the x-axis data labels are centered under the vertical columns. I would like them to be centered under the 'tick marks' on the x-axis instead.

there must be an easy way to do this.

I have also attached a copy of the file.

Thanks!!!! :help

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a220/saladsamurai/hist.jpg

rama4672
01-31-2010, 05:02 PM
What version of Excel are you using?
If you are using 2007 all you have to do is right click at the bottom of your graph, got to format axis and then change it to position Axis on tick mark
Pic attached

Saladsamurai
01-31-2010, 05:04 PM
Argg...thanks but I am using 2003. Sorry! I forgot to include that :/

Saladsamurai
01-31-2010, 06:10 PM
This is ridiculous. Apparently there is no easy way to do this. I found this link, but I cant seem to get it to work either. I think it might be from an even earlier version (than 2003).

http://www.treeplan.com/BetterHistogram_20041117_1555.htm

Saladsamurai
01-31-2010, 08:36 PM
This is ridiculous. Apparently there is no easy way to do this. I found this link, but I cant seem to get it to work either. I think it might be from an even earlier version (than 2003).

http://www.treeplan.com/BetterHistogram_20041117_1555.htm

I have been looking all day and I guess there is no way to align the data labels with the tick marks. I tried the link above's method and got it to 'half-work' only once.

For some reason, it only 'half-works' with some of my data sets and not the others! that is why I have not wasted any time trying to get the 'other half' to work.

For some reason, when I get to the step where it says to "pick out a 2 row by 2 column data set and then paste special it to the existing chart" instead of coming in as a "line graph" as it does in the example, it comes in as another bar. And then when i try to change the chart type of the new series to an XY scatter, it completely destroys the original bar chart.

errrrr:banghead:

there's no way to do this with code is there?

rama4672
02-01-2010, 12:54 PM
Try this for 2003 version
Right click on your X Axis and you will see the screen below, just untick all the boxes at the botton

Hope this helps

Saladsamurai
02-01-2010, 06:42 PM
Unfortunately, as you can see, now the bars themselves are misaligned thereby defeating the purpose of aligning the numbers with the ticks.

After much searching, this appears to be an unsolvable problem at the moment.

Thanks though for trying! I appreciate it!

Andy Pope
02-02-2010, 05:49 AM
Add a series and move to the secondary axis
change the chart type of the series to line
Use the Chart Options dialog to enable secondary X axis
format the secondary x axis to not cross between categories.
remove the labels from the primary x axis
set the secondary x axis labels to low

Saladsamurai
02-03-2010, 07:26 PM
Add a series and move to the secondary axis
change the chart type of the series to line
Use the Chart Options dialog to enable secondary X axis
format the secondary x axis to not cross between categories.
remove the labels from the primary x axis
set the secondary x axis labels to low

Andy! This is almost there! thanks!!!! Maybe you could help me out here, I almost have it. But, as you can see in the attached book, the labels are still a little off. Any ideas?

Or could you just give me very explicit steps as to exactly what you did? : pray2: I know it should be clear from your instructions, but I thought I followed them line by line and still i am a little off.

Thank you again soooooo much! :hi:

Andy Pope
02-04-2010, 04:44 AM
You need to add one more bin size to your series, 2600.