PDA

View Full Version : A Fix For Some Excel 2007 Open Workbook Crashes

Cyberdude
01-31-2010, 04:35 PM
I have been tormented by Excel 2007 workbook open crashes since I installed Office 2007. I found a fix which I’ve had some success with, so I would like to pass it on to those of you who have a similar problem. When a workbook crashes, there is a good chance that Excel marks the file as “Disabled”. This black mark doesn’t always go away when you start having better results by applying other fixes. So its worth your while to follow the steps shown below to re-enable the file. This is no guarantee of a permanent fix, but it’s very much worth performing since as long as the file is marked “disabled” you will probably continue to have the crashes on startup. So here are the steps to take:

1.Click on the Microsoft button in the upper left corner of your screen
2.At the bottom of your screen you should see a tab labeled “Excel Options”. Click on that tab.
3.In the list of options on the left of the screen, click on “Add Ins”.
4.Look for the box labeled “Manage”.
5.In the box you might see one or more file names. Click on each one you want to enable, then click on the “Go” button. You might have to select the file names one at a time followed by clicking “Go”. The selected file names should disappear from the list, indicating they are now enabled. If there aren’t any names in the list, then none of your files have been marked disabled.

You can read this in the Microsoft Knowledge Base by going to:
Support.Microsoft.com/kb/286017

HTH, Sid

Paul_Hossler
02-01-2010, 06:55 AM
I never had this problem with a 'visible' WB, only a XLSTART WB, such as Persomal.xlsm.

There is some kind of erratic interaction between Office apps (at least on my office (not Office :whistle: ) computer such that if I open Excel while I'm doing something else (e.g. Outlook) a XLSTART WB will 'Prevent Excel from starting correctly. Do you want to disable Personal.xlsm?'

So I've been developing the habit of keeping my hands off the KB until Excel is completely open

Paul

Cyberdude
02-02-2010, 11:03 AM
There is some kind of erratic interaction between Office apps (at least on my office (not Office :whistle: ) computer such that if I open Excel while I'm doing something else (e.g. Outlook) a XLSTART WB will 'Prevent Excel from starting correctly. Do you want to disable Personal.xlsm?'
Paul

Paul, I don't understand why you ask if I want to disable Personal.xlsm. The answer is no. On the contrary, that's where I keep a LOT of common macros. I am always using .xlsm on Personal and everything else.

I'm still struggling with the very non-intuitive Win 7 file system which complicates everything I try to do. For instance, I see paths that include AppData, Roaming, and XLSTART, but none exists when I do a search for them. How does one set up a path that shows, for example, ATPVBAEN.xlam being in folder XSTART if there is no XLSTART.

How do you explain that XLSTART is shown sometimes being in folder Office11 and other times it's in Office12? For that matter why is Office11 even being used anywhere if there is an Office12 available?? I dunno.

I have the Dell backup system in which it copies my files to a Dell server. It's failing because the paths it sets up for different files is too long. Yet I am unable to move folders around in order to shorten the paths. That's a bummer.

OK, that's enough of my complaining, Thanx for listening, Paul.
Sid

Paul_Hossler
02-02-2010, 01:48 PM
Paul, I don't understand why you ask if I want to disable Personal.xlsm. The answer is no. On the contrary, that's where I keep a LOT of common macros. I am always using .xlsm on Personal and everything else.

What I was saying is that sometimes Excel asks me if I want to diable Personal.xlsm (or some other XLSTART WB).

When that happens I have to do what you said in #1

I seems to happen mostly when I start Excel and simultaneously do something with another Office app

Laine
03-22-2012, 05:46 AM
Hi There,
If you find your power point files is still there on your system and its not working properly, then its time to repair powerpoint 2010. I too have faced the same problem and after my analysis i found that it can be easily done by the repairing software. You can download the software and can repair the required file.

Regards
Laine

robortjack8
07-15-2012, 11:41 PM
To achieve instant recovery of damaged Excel file, you can use Kernel for Excel that ensures perfect recovery. This tool repairs both .xls and .xlsx files by scanning the files recursively. The output it yields never gets altered during recovery process and is presented in the same format as it was previously. Also, the software is quite handy, portable and user friendly.