PDA

View Full Version : Explain Excel’s Task Bar’s Toolbar Options

Cyberdude
02-11-2010, 09:04 PM
If I right click on Excel’s task bar, one of the options I see is “Toolbars”. When I click on Toolbars, I see two options: “Address” and “Links”. Will someone explain these two options to me please?
I’ve lost two valued toolbars I had on my Excel 2003 task bar, and I just can’t seem to figure out how to recreate them in Excel 2007. Help has been no help. I want to create two (Excel 2007) toolbars each containing a list of shortcuts to Excel workbooks, but I’m getting nowhere. I'm not even sure how to spell it . . . is it "toolbar" or "tool bar"??

Paul_Hossler
02-12-2010, 05:22 PM
Are you sure you're clicking on Excel's taskbar? The 'Taskbar' is the area (usually at the bottom) where all apps have a task button.

If I right-click Excel's I get Restore, Miniimize, Close, etc.

If I right-click the non-app button part of the task bar, I get Toolbars (plus a bunch of others), and Toolbars has Links, Address, etc.

In Excel 2007, if a WB or AddIn has 2003 style CommandBars, they show up in a new AddIn tab on the Ribbon

Paul

Cyberdude
02-13-2010, 05:46 PM
Hi, Paul! I may be mistaken about what they call it, but the bar I click on is the one at the bottom of the screen with lots of small icons on the right and on the left I have Windows Explorer and whatever is active. I just did it again . . . right click in the middle of the "Task" bar, and up pops a list of options with the word "Toolbars" as the first option. I hover over that (or click) and the toolbar options appear. The first option is "Address" and the second one is "Links", just like I described before. So I ask again . . .what do they do?? I found my "lost" toolbars, but I doubt if I can use them again in the handy way I had them before, but I'll keep trying.
Sid

PS I had cataract surgery on my right eye 3 days ago, and I can amost see as good as I could before with glasses. That's a marvelous advance in medical technology.

Paul_Hossler
02-14-2010, 09:53 AM
The collection of little icons at the bottom right corner is the 'Tray' or 'Notification Area' (I think it depends on OS)

The rest of the bottom row is the 'Task Bar' which can have 'Tool Bars' (plus other stuff). Right click and Properties -- Title of Properties should be something like 'Taskbar and Start Menu Properties' (I have Vista on this machine, so it might be little different)

The 'Buttons' on the Taskbar are for running Apps ('Inbox - MS Outlook, Excel - Book1, etc.)

If you go to Toolbars, and check 'Links' you'll get another tool bar in the Taskbar with all your Links listed from IE, which you can click.

You also make a New Toolbar to put your own stuff on

Excel 2003 CommandBars are similar, but restricted to Excel type things. Those are the ones that show in the AddIns tab in Excel 2007 if you open a WB that has them included

Paul