PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Personal.xls not loading - usual solutions not working

starsky
02-24-2010, 08:27 AM
Hi,

Excel has suddenly stopped loading my Personal file.

Personal.xls is where it has always been, in the default XLSTART folder.
I have tried removing it from XLSTART and creating a new one by recording. This new one is not loaded by Excel upon restarting the application.
Nothing is disabled. Nothing is hidden & it is not displayed in the VBE.

I am stumped I have to say. Perhaps it is a network issue, but can anyone think of any other potential solutions?

Thanks.

SamT
02-24-2010, 11:10 AM
What did you do to/with Excel yesterday?

krishhi
02-25-2010, 04:18 AM
Hi,

Excel has suddenly stopped loading my Personal file.

Personal.xls is where it has always been, in the default XLSTART folder.
I have tried removing it from XLSTART and creating a new one by recording. This new one is not loaded by Excel upon restarting the application.
Nothing is disabled. Nothing is hidden & it is not displayed in the VBE.

I am stumped I have to say. Perhaps it is a network issue, but can anyone think of any other potential solutions?

Thanks.

Hey did you try this,

go to excel options, add-ins, in the drop down box select disabled items then go, now check there personal.xls is there if yes click on that and enable. Restart the Excel. That's it. :)

starsky
02-25-2010, 10:19 AM
Sam - nothing unusual.

Krishna - I couldn't find a reference to add ins in excel options, although I am able to use my other add ins as usual. There is the reference to add ins under Tools, but nowhere to select disabled items.

lucas
02-25-2010, 10:26 AM
I had this problem once. I have 2003 but if you go to help on the main menu and select "about" you get a dialog.

Look at the bottom for a button that says "disabled items"

Maybe it's been disabled.

SamT
02-25-2010, 01:34 PM
Hurt your computor!

:whip

krishhi
02-25-2010, 09:12 PM
Sam - nothing unusual.

Krishna - I couldn't find a reference to add ins in excel options, although I am able to use my other add ins as usual. There is the reference to add ins under Tools, but nowhere to select disabled items.

Hm.,
I thought you are using excel 2007. anyway i have found this

check it out (http://excel.tips.net/Pages/T002888_Personalxls_File_Not_Opening.html)

and

Here (http://www.excelforum.com/excel-programming/331751-where-does-personal-xls-go.html)

Cheers :yes :yes

starsky
02-26-2010, 03:12 AM
Thanks for the links Krishna. I had tried those methods, which is why the sudden disappearence was so frustrating. However, for some unfathomable reason personal.xls has now reappeared this morning, 2 days later - I only checked on the offchance.

Sam - I will keep your suggestion in mind for the future :thumb

krishhi
02-26-2010, 03:20 AM
Wow. Atlast We heard a Good News From you Starsky. :)