PDA

View Full Version : Solved: How to link text without macro

par4724
02-26-2010, 05:51 PM
Hello, I'm not sure if this is a question for this forum but I can't find the answer anywhere.

I am trying to find out if it is possible to link text within Word 2003/2007 without a macro or linked text box. I have to fill in several fields within a table at the start of a documents daily but if I try with a text box it's difficult to match the height/width of the original document (which is not mine to alter). I want to be able to enter text in the table box and then it would automatically be entered in a box/s further on in the documents. Is this possible?
Thanks,
Paul.

lucas
02-26-2010, 06:26 PM
Each formfield has a bookmark. on the forms toolbar you can get the name of the bookmark.

I believe you can go to where you want it duplicated and hit Ctrl + F9 then type the name of the bookmark, move your curser elsewhere, protect your formfields and type something in the form field.

par4724
02-26-2010, 06:45 PM
Thanks Lucas. What i really wanted was for the box to be automatically populated as I typed the first box. You see, the first page has the same info as the second page (plus some other stuff) but I can't change the template without jumping through hoops. Do you know of another way without having to 'Update field' everytime?

Thanks.

lucas
02-26-2010, 07:35 PM
Magic?

I think you're asking more than can be done.

A macro will work but I know of no other method.

lucas
02-26-2010, 07:44 PM
I don't understand why you have to see it change if it's on a different page. How do you do that?

par4724
02-27-2010, 06:12 AM
Hi Lucas, Thanks for your help. I don't have to see it change it just would have been nice to enter it once and be automatically populated elsewhere in the document. I will use your first suggestion though, so thanks for that.

Kind regards,
Paul.

lucas
02-27-2010, 09:53 AM
I'm sorry I don't have any better solutions for this. I wasn't trying to be a smart alec and I hope I didn't offend you. Just kidding around a little.

If you are at the end of your query here, could you mark your thread solved using the thread tools at the top of the page.

That way people looking to help will not read through the entire thread just to find it's been resolved.

fumei
03-01-2010, 10:54 AM
The Ctrl-F9 route is the easiest. Demo attached. The document is protected for forms. Type something into the first formfield and then Tab out to the next one. Notice it is duplicated in three other places. No macros.