PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Need Help With Methodology

Opv
03-02-2010, 02:47 PM
I am in the process of constructing a rather large database of time and payment information for five individuals who work from time to time for my brother on his small farm. My preference would be to keep the time, hourly rate, pay, etc., for all five men within the same spreadsheet (as opposed to maintaining five separate spreadsheets) and then to be able to have a separate sheet within which I can easily extract information for one at a time and view, edit, print, etc., as needed, as well as generate reports for combined total hours worked, wages paid by time period.

My interest at this point is not in how to design the data sheet but, rather, in a way to extract one man's data into the separate sheet without including a bunch of blank rows. I've tried IF with VLOOKUP and I can bring the relevant rows of data in, but it also leaves tons of blank rows representing the rows of data applicable to the other men. Is there a function that would accommodate extracting only the rows of data for one individual from within the larger database without including blank rows.

I've attached a sample spreadsheet for test purposes.

Thanks,

Opv

Bob Phillips
03-02-2010, 03:48 PM
Try this

Opv
03-02-2010, 04:00 PM
Works like a charm. Thanks a million!

Opv

Opv
03-02-2010, 05:53 PM
How would I expand the formula (presumably in the hidden column A) in the Individual Report Sheet to, in addition to testing for a name match, to also match the YEAR = the year in the date transaction date column?

Ideally, it would be nice to have the option to either test for both the name and the year and retrieve only rows that match both criteria, or to test only for name and retrieve all rows, regardless of date.

Bob Phillips
03-03-2010, 01:37 AM
Try this

Opv
03-03-2010, 08:38 AM
Thanks. That seems to work when selecting a specific year, but when I select "All," nothing shows up; all the rows are blank.

Bob Phillips
03-03-2010, 08:51 AM
I changed the format at the last moment

Opv
03-03-2010, 09:16 AM
Thank you very much. I think I can work with that.

Opv