PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Word Template in IE

bryVA
03-10-2010, 05:36 PM
Hello,

I have 77 word templates on a webpage that have fillin's that require inputs by the user. However when you click on the link on the webpage it opens the template instead of opening a document like the template. How can I get a word template to open properly from a webpage.

I have been told to create a link to the template then refer to the file.dot.lnk on the webpage however the program I use to store my template will not allow me to create a shortcut. Is there another method to get the template to work properly? Maybe somehow using VBA?

Thanks for all your help,

-B

lucas
03-10-2010, 05:59 PM
How are you linking to it now?

bryVA
03-10-2010, 07:01 PM
It's like:
<li><a href="dusb_minutes/DUSB Temp.dot" title="DUSB Letter">Click here</a>.

Is this what you were asking for.

Thank you,

-B

lucas
03-10-2010, 07:14 PM
B, I'm in a little over my head on this but you need to call a document.add and name the template along with the path as an object in vba.

similar to this:

Set oDoc = .Documents.Add(Template:=strFPath & "tpl.dot")
The path is strFPath and is set earlier in the routine.

I have no idea how to do it through html.

SamT
03-11-2010, 06:27 AM
bryVA,

Are you trying to retrieve data from the User inputs back to your computor from the web page?

I don't see any way to make Word Templates work for that.

What is the problem the templates are supposed to solve?

bryVA
03-16-2010, 11:36 AM
The problem is that on the website users will click on a link which will open a word template. The link however opens the template in template format not a fresh document based on the template. I need it to open a document based on the template. Does this make sense?

SamT
03-17-2010, 07:06 AM
The problem is that on the website users will click on a link which will open a word template. The link however opens the template in template format not a fresh document based on the template. I need it to open a document based on the template. Does this make sense?

If you want your users to open a document, just replace the templates with documents.

Why not? They can't change the file on your web server, so the original will still be there. When they save the document, they have to save it to their own hard drive.

bryVA
03-17-2010, 09:17 AM
Well I have field codes that automatically run from a template but I can't get them to run from a document. If I could get those field codes to work in a document format then that would be the way to go but maybe I am doing something wrong with that. I am using Word 2000

Any ideas?

-B

lucas
03-17-2010, 09:19 AM
document has to be protected for fields to work.

bryVA
03-17-2010, 02:05 PM
I have the document protected and it will not run the field codes. If I unprotect them after I open it up and then protect them it calls the field codes and I can enter the data. Is there something I am missing? I have attached an example.

Thank you for all your help

-B

SamT
03-18-2010, 07:47 AM
I get the feeling that there is something you want to accomplish that you aren't telling.

I think that you have decided that templates are the answer to what you want to do, (what that is, you have never said,) and now, you are resisting letting us know what you are trying to accomplish.

Simple Word templates on the web are not going to send any information back to you, no matter how you try.

bryVA
03-18-2010, 07:55 AM
I am trying to get the field codes to work from the web is all I want to do. If I have a template on my desktop and I open it, it will open with input boxes that input information into the document in the areas the field codes are at. It was suggested to use a document instead of a template because the template opens as a template from the website instead of Document1 like it does when clicking on the template from the desktop. So I put it in a document and the field codes don't pop up with the input boxes. It has nothing to do with sending information anywhere but the word documents field codes. You can see the field codes on the attachment I attached in my last reply. I just want them to have the input box pop up when opened.

Can this be done?

-B

lucas
03-18-2010, 08:25 AM
There are no input fields in that document.

There is apparently a date field but no input fields.

There is no code to run an inputbox. There are no bookmarks.

The fields that might be there are for running external code on like for a mail merge.

fumei
03-18-2010, 09:48 AM
Fillin fields have to be updated in order to activate them. So, you need to update the document fields, assumably on document open.

As an alternative, why not simply have these on a userform that opens on document open. Fillin fields, in this case, seems clunky to me. You get a separate inputbox for each question. Plus you have to enter the input, tab to the OK button for every question. Bleeech. Clunky.

A userform would be much better. PLUS, you could do error-trapping on the input values (which you can not do with your fillin fields).

bryVA
04-13-2010, 07:59 AM
I could use a userform for this however I have 56 Templates that already have fillin fields and I didn't want to go through the trouble of updating them all. I have a autoOpen macro to update the fields but the issue is that when I link the template to the website it opens the template instead of creating a new document based on the template. When it opens the template it doesn't fire the autoopen because it is opening the template instead of a fresh document based on the template.

Is there a way for me to correct this issue?

Thank you for all your help,

-B

fumei
04-13-2010, 08:37 AM
No. The web page opens a file - repeat...a file. If that is a .dot, then that is a .dot.

AND, when you open a .dot file...this does NOT clone a new document. Therefore, opening it does not create a new document. Period.

Bottom line though, your template will never create new documents

I could use a userform for this however I have 56 Templates that already have fillin fields and I didn't want to go through the trouble of updating them all.One solution? Go through the trouble. This is inherently an issue with using Fillin fields (which I have never been fond of, as I find userforms much much better to use).

bryVA
04-13-2010, 08:43 AM
Alright. I guess I need to bite the bullet.

Thank you for all your help,

-B

bryVA
04-13-2010, 08:54 AM
Is there a way to create one Userform from say a different document or excel file and have it open the word template and based on the Word Fillin Fields adjust the userform to ask for those fields? I have 56 templates so this way I only have to update one userform.