PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Random Vocabulary Terms

Opv
03-16-2010, 09:27 AM
I have attached a small sample sheet of Greek terms. The sheet could be expanded to include additional columns (i.e., case, tense, gender, etc), but the attached sheet should be sufficient to get the gist of the direction I am wanting to go.

What I'd like to do is construct my vocabulary database (an ongoing process) and then in the "Practice" sheet to randomly display only one of the Greek terms OR the English equivalent so that I can practice either translating the term into English OR translating the English into Greek. Ideally, the Practice sheet would be flexible enough to display all of the relevant columns (case, tense, gender, etc., as those identifying elements are added).

I would like for the random generation to be non-duplicative so that it assures that I work my way through the entire list. I would also like for the random practice entry to not change until I trigger it somehow. (Open to suggestions as to how that process might work.)

Is this something that is doable?

Bob Phillips
03-16-2010, 09:58 AM
Try this

Opv
03-16-2010, 02:36 PM
Thanks. That gives me something to think about. From my reading on the topic of randomizing numbers, it seems (unless I am mistaken) that the coding required to generate an unduplicated random number from a specified range of numbers can get rather involved, particularly if one wants the results from each randomly generated number to be displayed in the same set of cells.

What I initially thought about was having the unduplicated random number generated, then calling the indexed row from the database that matches that number and displaying it into the Practice sheet, say hypothetically on Row 5. Then, I need for that row to remain displayed until I both successfully type the correct English or Greek word or phrase in the appropriate field AND either enter on a trigger in a predefined cell OR possibly click on a Button, to tell the system that I am finished with the word or phrase currently displayed and to generate the next word or phrase, which would then replace the content in Row 5.

Is what I am describing plausible?

Bob Phillips
03-16-2010, 03:55 PM
You would generate them all, you would just generate one and then VLOOKUP the rest of the row, as per my example.

You could generate a row number just as easily as I have generated the Greek word.

Opv
03-16-2010, 05:47 PM
Thanks. I'll give it my best shot. :banghead:

Opv
04-02-2010, 11:07 AM
Thanks. I'll give it my best shot. :banghead:

I finally figured it out. Thanks for all the suggestions.