PDA

View Full Version : Creation of a 100-indicator dashboard on ppt from an xls table

Dborj
03-18-2010, 06:18 AM
Hello,
I'm trying to code a macro and I planned an approach, I need advices:

Here's what should make this macro:

I have an excel table with the following data:

~100 indicators, 1 indicator = 1 line of the excel table
for each indicator, the minimum, maximum, its average value and its value in each of the 18 companies measured.
That is to say ~100 lines and 3 + 18 = 21 columns
I want to generate a presentation for each of the 18 companies representing each of the indicators in this form:
A rectangle to make a kind of "gauge"
a text box above to indicate the max value
a text box below to indicate the min value
a cursor that shows where the company is for the indicator in question (pointing to the correct value) and its associated text box showing the value
a line materializing the average of the indicator and its associated text box giving the average value

The template of each presentation is almost set (I might add indicators, but always in the same form)
-------------------------------------------------- ---------
Here's how I plan to do :
In addition to the data table explained above, I added columns showing the coordinates of objects related to each indicator. Ie:
The slide on which the indicator is
The names of graphical objects: rectangle, cursor, line representing the average value
The name of each text boxes: min, max, average score of the company
I copied this table in the last slide of PowerPoint with paste special "copy link" from excel
The macro I'm trying to create have the following structure:
Updating the values and the position of the curser for each indicator
Do it for each company (ie column) in a different powerpoint every time

-------------------------------------------------- ----------
My questions:
Is this a good approach or is there an easier one (by making direct links between txt boxes and excel cells for example)
How to get the data from the excel table pasted in the powerpoint with a macro ? I can not
How would you approach this kind of development ?
Thanks a lot for your input

Paul_Hossler
03-19-2010, 06:01 AM
I'd look at doing a Excel Pivot chart, with theCompany as a Page Field, and figuring out a way to link 18 PP slides to each value of the page field

Still a lot of work.

Another (simpler [maybe]) way is to do an Excel macro to copy/paste each of the 18 page field value to 18 PP slides

Paul