PDA

View Full Version : SQL Server 2008 book recommendation

beegeebluebo
03-25-2010, 06:21 AM
I have SQL experience with OS/400; Cognos; MS Query. I now wish to learn SQL Server initially for ETL roles then for management reporting.

Currently I have installed SQL Server 2008 Enterprise and the AdventureWorks db's in the last 48 hours. I've used Management Studio and Reporting Studio briefly and I think that those are the core apps I need to learn to carry out the roles I will want to do.

I'm very happy working through a book page by page to understand the features and carry them out but the question is which is the book to buy. Does anyone have any recommdations please?

Bob Phillips
03-25-2010, 05:40 PM
SQL Server is a big topic, one book won't cover it all.

First you might need a basic SQL server book, such as 'SQL server For Dummies', to give you the grounding the othesr might assume.

For ETL, you want SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS), I think Wrox's 'Professional SQL Server Integration Services' is good.

You then need to determine how you intend to report from SQL Server. Will you be using Reporting Services, a desktop client such as Excel, or maybe use OLAP cubes.I like Microsoft's 'SQL Server 2008 Reporting Services Step By Step', which also covers SharePoint which you will need. If you are going the OLAP route, I would suggest 'SQL Server Analysis Services 2008 Step By Step'. (The Step By Step series also has a SQL Server book, but I don't know this book myself), and you might want a good MDX book later.

beegeebluebo
03-31-2010, 02:15 AM
Appreciate your help