PDA

View Full Version : WebCams

Movian
03-25-2010, 07:27 AM
Hey,
been searching for a descent solution answer to this for a day or two now ( i searched here first but i didn't even get a single result!)

I would like to be able to capture a still image from a web cam, save it in a specific folder then set a field on a form (invisible) to the location of that image and update a picture box with said image. This will be used at a front desk to take pictures of the clients being entered into the database and displayed on the top right. Now i have found some examples with WIA (Windows Image Acquisition) however i have discovered that some web cams (Including the one i have :banghead: ) no longer support WIA and recommend that you use direct draw to access the web cam.

So what i need is a way to universally acquire images from webcams and save them to disk.

CreganTur
03-25-2010, 08:40 AM
Do the webcam drivers expose any API's you could hook into?

Movian
03-25-2010, 08:51 AM
While there may be an API, That would only allow me to access my own Web Cam what i need is a setup that will work with a variety of web cam models and brands. This way i can distribute to multiple locations with multiple hardware setups without having to custom code this each time