PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Animation Control limitations

Paul_Hossler
04-02-2010, 06:04 AM
I'd like to add a little 'polish' to an application, and use the animations control to play an AVI in a UserForm during some operations.

Environment is Vista and XP, 2003 and 2007

Attached is simple WB as a proof of concept

Couple of concerns / questions.

1. It seems that the AVI has to be a separate file; it's not 'embedded' in the form or WB the way an Image is. This would be a distribution problem with the WB, since there'd be a lot of files (Right now, installation is simple: "Copy this to where you want it"). Is there anyway to avoid having to install a lot of files?

I thought of Inserting the AVI's onto a hidden WS so that they'd go with the WB, but can't figure out to Play one that's embedded on a WS:(

2. There does not seem to be any Windows AVI's that I could assume would be on the destination PC. I searched Windows folder, and only found one. Is there another location where a 'normal' Windows installation would have some already?

3. The Animation control is in MSCOMCT2.OCX. Would that be on every PC? I can add a Reference to it via VBA, but would I have to register (RegSrv32) it first?

The app will survive without the animation, but having seen what can be done, I thought I'd add a little polish if I can.

Paul

mdmackillop
04-03-2010, 07:14 AM
Hi Paul,
I know nothing about animations, but this plays an embedded animation after a fashion

ActiveSheet.Shapes("Object 1").Select
Selection.Verb Verb:=xlPrimary

Paul_Hossler
04-03-2010, 07:47 AM
Thanks -- I'll give that a shot

Had not thought about trying it that way

Paul