PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Data input macro help needed

speedy dave
04-05-2010, 01:22 AM
Hi guys, I hope someone can help with this one.
Basically I want to creat a simple "front end" data input sheet
that has a series of drop down boxes and a dollar value input cell.
The user will go thru the various fields drop downs and then enter a dollar amount, .
There will then be an "ENTER" button which would trigger the macro.
This would take the dollar value and enter it into the relevant column on another worksheet.
Also, the next time that value is selected etc, the value would then be copied to the next cell down, so that there will be a running total of the variable.
I have attached a basic worksheet so you might be able to figure out what i am trying to do.

Thanks in advance

lucas
04-05-2010, 08:02 AM
So only "how much" goes in the three columns O P and Q?

speedy dave
04-05-2010, 04:14 PM
That is correct.
The purpose of this is to simplify data entry into a "budget" type spreadsheet, although once I know the code, I could adapt it to other areas of data entry.

Is it also possible to have the second and third level "options" dependant upon what was selected in the first or second "level". ( or more levels even )

For example, if one of the selectable parameters in the first "level" drop down box was say "fuel"
The second level drop down box would only show the available variables that have been defined/assigned to the "fuel" variable, like "unleaded" "Diesel" "Avgas" etc.
A third level could then be say the "quanitity", like litres, gallons etc...
Maybe a fourth could be the date that the event was entered.....

so the data selection ( as selected by drop downs ) would look like..
Diesel
-gallons
-$30.60
- 2010-04-05

The enter button is then pressed, and this info will populate the next cell down in the column of the worksheet that has these (and others) column fields

Then, along with the "amount $$$ " being added to the $$$ columns, there could also be columns for the other variables, like " litres of diesel" litres of petrol" "gallons of petrol" "date purchased" etc etc

The main thing is that as each data entry event is "entered" the price/quantity/(other?) gets added to the next cell in its associated fields column.
That way, after a period of time, I can get a list of what was purchased and when ( date field ) as well as a running cost and volume total of each item.

Is that clear? I hope I have not been talking in circles :dunno

Cheers

lucas
04-06-2010, 12:10 PM
You may be trying to do too much with the same ranges and controls.

I split it up and did diesel and bolts for you by adding a userform or two.

See what you think.

speedy dave
04-14-2010, 05:26 PM
Thanks heaps Steve.
I have had a good look at what you have done and I have gained enough of an understanding of how the code works to be able to adapt it to suit our needs.
I am very new to this level of excel and find it to be very challenging at times.
The willingness of this forums members to help out us "noobs" is truly wonderful.
Thanks again