PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Managing the Case of First Letter

Opv
04-06-2010, 12:03 PM
I'm entering some Greek terms, some of which have an apostrophe in front of the first letter. For those terms, when I either type a space after the word or hit ENTER, the capitalized first character automatically changes to lower case. Is there a way to force the first letter of words to remain capitalized only for those terms that I capitalize?

GTO
04-06-2010, 01:39 PM
A total stab, but you might want to try turning off AutoCorrect while entering.

Opv
04-06-2010, 02:59 PM
A total stab, but you might want to try turning off AutoCorrect while entering.

Thanks. I apologize but I should have mentioned in my original message that I am running Excel 2000. I don't think AutoCorrect came out until around Excel 2002 or so, or am I wrong? I checked the options and the closest thing I could find is AutoComplete. I tested that setting and it does not appear to have an effect. I am wondering whether the problem could be in the Greek font rather than with Excel.

GTO
04-06-2010, 03:16 PM
I have 2000. From the menubar, Tools|Autocorrect. Clear the replace text as you type checkbox.

It doesn't seem likely to be a font problem, but I am over my head in making that comment :-(

Mark

Opv
04-06-2010, 03:22 PM
I have 2000. From the menubar, Tools|Autocorrect. Clear the replace text as you type checkbox.

It doesn't seem likely to be a font problem, but I am over my head in making that comment :-(

Mark

Well, you may have been over your head but you appear to have been spot on. I was looking in the wrong place (under the Tools Options) and didn't notice it under the Tools menu as some of the unused menu options are hidden. I deselected the option auto correct two initial capital letters and that seems to have resolved my problem.

Thanks for the help,

Opv

GTO
04-07-2010, 01:41 AM
:fainted: Well... as the saying goes, even a blind pig finds an acorn once in a while. Glad it worked:)