PDA

View Full Version : Excel 2000 vs 2003; additional control; substitute

GTO
04-06-2010, 01:48 PM
A good day to all :-)

Okay, so I'm playing/learning while maybe wacking together a personal bit o' code, to compare same named file in different drives (Del the old, keep the new). Basically, rid different versions of stuff I have saved to both hard and jump drives.

So, I happen to try an additional control, that upon attempting, I think is "the neatest thing since sliced bread..."

This is at home, so its on my laptop, which is about three days from certain death, as while 'manually' clearing a virus, I managed to upchuck something terrible; so now clicking on icons for executables results in an "I have no idea what program to run" msg (the actual msg is different, but I forget). So until I correct or actually get around to hooking up a decent PC I was given, I start stuff from Command.

Further - I am running Excel 2000, no doubt service pack -7, that came in a box marked "New and Improved. Now - FULLY electric", so we're not talking the latest by any means.

In gist - picture an abacus with really old batteries, and you're pretty much there.

Now as to my question:

The control is titled: "CCRP FolderTreeview Control(VB6)"

Located at: C:\WINDOWS\System32\ccrpftv6.ocx

When I get to work and run the file, I get a non-existant object type gripe.

I check the web and it appears that this control had some vulnerability. I fully admit that I didn't understand what a 'DoS' (case matching descript) issue is.

I am assuming that if I copy the library and take it to work, the system will no doubt reject trying to copy it to System32. Further - while I did not understand what type of hideous death the control and/or library would cast upon users, I get that it must not be a peaceful journey into the the light afar.

I was wondering however, if there might be a similar control in 2003?

If not, break it to me gently, as quite frankly, it just seemed 'too cool'. It looks like the left pane in explorer. I figured if I could find one more control to show the files... Well suffice it to say, it would have seemed awfully nifty :-)

Sigh... Anything close that's loaded with 2003?

Thank you so much,

Mark

GTO
04-06-2010, 01:52 PM
Here's a rudimentary pic, in case of help to descript...

Bob Phillips
04-06-2010, 01:56 PM
This is part of the Common Controls Replacement Project, http://ccrp.mvps.org/. I don't know how you got it, but you can find it here http://ccrp.mvps.org/index.html?controls/ccrpftv6.htm

GTO
04-06-2010, 02:20 PM
Greetings my friend,

I take it inferred in the negative as to an easy substitution?

I ask, as of course, arguing with a tech as to loading stuff is a hassle. Especially when one is currently workin opposite hours...

If I re-lookup the sites I found that referenced 'issues' with the control (and provided the links), would it be imposing to ask for a basic explanation? If yes, no problem. Quite frankly, it just seemed so neat, well, I was rather kid-like in my thinking how nifty this would be in a userform...

Thank you so much,

Mark

Bob Phillips
04-06-2010, 02:41 PM
I have never used it (before) Mark, but I know these guys and they are top-notch, quality VBers.

I just installed it, copied ccrpftv6.ocx to Windows\System32 and used ccrpRegUtil.exe to register it, and went into a form ADditional Controls and I added the control to the form, and quickly invoked it. No big hassle at all.

GTO
04-06-2010, 03:07 PM
I have never used it (before) Mark, but I know these guys and they are top-notch, quality VBers.

I am well beyond my current bedtime, but quickly looked at the site; very impressed and will spend time in the next few nights researching/reading.

I just installed it, copied ccrpftv6.ocx to Windows\System32 and used ccrpRegUtil.exe to register it, and went into a form ADditional Controls and I added the control to the form, and quickly invoked it. No big hassle at all.

I'm fairly certain mine must have come with the laptop, as I'd be reading the steps to register at this point, and wouldn't have had a clue when I purchased the laptop (second hand).

I am exhausted, so hitting the rack. In the sites I scanned, the 'issues' seemed possibly at web more than app.

As I mentioned, currently just a self project, and learning. If seems of any promise at all, I will relocate the articles stating issues and post. That done, it might be easier for you to judge whether it'd be sensible for me to argue loading the libraries onto machine(s) (ie - any vulnerabilities would not effectively exist in terms of actual usage).

Thank you Bob, both at info/links and testing.

Mark

Bob Phillips
04-06-2010, 03:50 PM
Agreed, the issues seem small-beer at best.