PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Prevent Slideshow edits

Paul_Hossler
04-07-2010, 05:21 PM
In PP2007 is there a way to prevent some one from editing a slide show .PPSX file?

Google only came up a few approaches, the best one involved saving the slide show as JPGs, and making a new one from the pictures.

I'd lose animations (I can live with that if I have to). Would be a bit tedious to do that, esp if I had to do it manually

I was wondering if there was a PW option or some other easy way to do it

Paul

MWE
04-12-2010, 08:13 PM
In PP2007 is there a way to prevent some one from editing a slide show .PPSX file?

Google only came up a few approaches, the best one involved saving the slide show as JPGs, and making a new one from the pictures.

I'd lose animations (I can live with that if I have to). Would be a bit tedious to do that, esp if I had to do it manually

I was wondering if there was a PW option or some other easy way to do it

PaulAre you trying to REALLY prevent some one from editing a slide show or just trying to prevent someone from changing the target slide show and saving it with the same name in the same location?

Paul_Hossler
04-13-2010, 06:04 AM
I wanted to be able to keep a PPSX intact, so that all slides remain as I originally created them.

It doesn't matter if they save a copy, since my original is still safe on my PC, and they can't overwrite it

Paul

MWE
04-13-2010, 06:53 AM
I wanted to be able to keep a PPSX intact, so that all slides remain as I originally created them.

It doesn't matter if they save a copy, since my original is still safe on my PC, and they can't overwrite it

PaulIf you are concerned about "unintended" modifications, you could simply make the file READ ONLY. That will not stop someone who really wants to change the file, but will likely prevent unintended changes.

John Wilson
04-15-2010, 07:34 AM
Paul

You can set a modify password (not VERY secure though)

When you save as use the "tools" dropdown > General Options

Paul_Hossler
04-15-2010, 04:43 PM
John, that would probably be 'good nuff'

Is that the 2007 way, or the 2003 way?

We're on 2007

Paul

John Wilson
04-16-2010, 09:27 AM
I don't want to go into details (making it even easier to crack it) Paul but while neither password is bombproof if you save in .pps format from 2007 it is harder to get in than if you save in ppsx format and should make little if any difference to how the presentation plays. The average person should be kept "hands off".

Paul_Hossler
04-16-2010, 10:49 AM
I do understand that the Office 'Protection' is very limited, but it will probably be good enough to prevent some one from taking one of my slides and potentially making a change that I wouldn't want (esp. if my name is in the presetantation)

I can't find a 2007 option to even set a password to allow viewing, but prevent editing

Right now, my approach is a macro (only just begun) that saves the active presentation as JPGs, and then creates a new presentation of the jpgs.

I lose all animations, but the slide content is un-editable.

Public Sub ParsePath(P As String, F As String, n As String, E As String)
Dim p1 As String
p1 = QualifyPath(P)
F = GetFolder(p1)
n = RemoveExtension(GetFile(p1))
E = GetExtension(p1)
End Sub

Sub drv()
Dim oPresentation As Presentation
Dim oSlide As Slide

Dim sFolder As String, sName As String, sExt As String
With ActivePresentation
Call ParsePath(.FullName, sFolder, sName, sExt)

On Error Resume Next
Call RmDir(sFolder & "\" & sName)
On Error GoTo 0

Call MkDir(sFolder & "\" & sName)
Call .SaveAs(sFolder & "\" & sName, ppSaveAsJPG)
End With

Stop

End Sub

Paul

John Wilson
04-16-2010, 02:43 PM
My first post is to add a modify password to 2007!

In the save as dialogue there is a "Tools" dropdown.

Use this to get "General Options" and from there add the password.

Save as a pps and it will be fairly hard to modify

Paul_Hossler
04-16-2010, 07:15 PM
My mistake -- I thought your #1 refered to the 2003 Tools command bar, not the Tools button on the FileSaveAs dialog.

It also helps if I could follow directions an used the General options, not the Save options

Thanks for repeating it

Paul