PDA

View Full Version : .TIF files inverted in Word.?

ukemike
05-12-2005, 06:57 AM
Hey guys,
Has anyone had this problem before.?

Basically, I am inserting a image file from the the web into a word document programmatically. Its a .TIF file. Some of the files are ok, other ones are Inverted (Black -->White, White --- > Black).

I have searched the web and some people are saying it is the LZW compression that does to the picture. My question is does Word automatically compress an image you put in the document?? If so, where are the options to turn this off.

If you right click on am image already inserted you get some options to compress it, but I was wondering if even before this Word does something to the image.

Anyway, this is a rare problem, but it got me stumbled. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks
Mike

MOS MASTER
05-12-2005, 09:55 AM
Hi Mike, :D

If you Insert a picture in the normal fashion it will be scaled to your document and to your windows display settings (Grapic chart)

Word does not compress the picture as far as I know. And yes Word can compress a picture via the picture toolbar.

Word supports these Formats:

Joint Photographic Experts Group (JPEG, JFIF)
Graphics Interchange Format (GIF)
Portable Network Graphics (PNG)
Tagged Image File Format (TIFF)
Macintosh Picture (PICT)
Macintosh Paint (PNTG)
Windows Bitmap (BMP)
Encapsulated PostScript File (EPSF, EPS)
Windows Metafile (WMF)
Enhanced Windows Metafile (EMF)
Portable Document Format (PDF)
Photoshop Document (PSD)
Silicon Graphics Incorporated (SGI)
QuickTime Image Format (QTIF)
Targa (TGA, TPIC)
FlashPix (FPX)
If you ask me wich format has the least loss in Quality after an insert then I would think it would be EMF-format.

It is known that Files can invert or otherwise lose quality and yes TIFF is one of them.

You also have to look out with TIFF files because Word can cause an error if you present if with a TIFF picure with more than one alpha channel.

If you are allowed to specify your own format then I would do some experimeting on the different File types and see wich one turned out best.

Another possible sollution is to save the file local first and insert it later. (you can try that manually) See if that helps..wild guess as I may add!

Enjoy! :whistle:

BlueCactus
05-12-2005, 03:40 PM
I've had inversion problems with TIFFs for years on both Mac and PC, various versions of Word, and other software too. Never really known what triggers it, so if you find out, let us know!

I agree with MOS Master - AFAIK, Word does not usually apply its own compression. (But it does convert some files - I don't think TIFF is one of them.)

Also, if your doc is intended for hardcopy, you might try and print one with the inverted TIFF - the print copy does not always suffer the same problems as the screen copy (and vice versa).

For the ones that have given me trouble, I've usually ended up converting them to a different, more reliable format before using them.

MOS MASTER
05-12-2005, 03:44 PM
Also, if your doc is intended for hardcopy, you might try and print one with the inverted TIFF - the print copy does not always suffer the same problems as the screen copy (and vice versa)
This is very true and is mostly the case!

Like I said Word adjust the colours of the picture to the available screen colors of your Grafics card if you set screen colors (Windows/desktop/properties) to 32 Bit (highest) you will experience a much better result. (if the card can handle that)

So remember this is also a hardware issue! :whistle: