PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Hide columns not appearing in Sheet 3

Imdabaum
05-05-2010, 09:51 AM
Can I add a little dynamic to this post? I have an excel spreadsheet that goes to AD on sheet1, and AL on sheet2. I've copied the headers and pasted them transposed in A(sheet2 headers) B(sheet1 headers), and used a VLookup on C to find all common headers.

I have been instructed to create a table based on the common fields, but rather than hunting from A:AL I'd like to just hide all the columns that don't appear in sheet3!C. Hope that makes sense, but I've dealt with Access for a while... I'd like to learn how to maximize my usability with Excel and this seems like a good training exercise.

Bob Phillips
05-05-2010, 10:49 AM
Imbadaum,

I moved this to its own post, it had nothing to do with the other thread.

I am a bit lost on what should happen. Do you have a workbook with details on what needs to be done.

Imdabaum
05-05-2010, 01:36 PM
I was afraid it might not be relevant. It was done in 2007, but I tried to save it in 2003 compatible.
Basically if I have two worksheets
Sheet1
A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | >.... and so forth.

Then on Sheet 2 I have the
A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | >.... and so forth.

for each column the first row is the column header ie:
Here's a sample, I hope you can figure out what I mean.

Essentially I would like Sheet1 & 2 to hide the columns that do not appear in Sheet3 column D.

Imdabaum
05-11-2010, 01:30 PM
Worked around it with Access. I thought it'd be neat if I could hide the uncommon fields and then just copy and paste the remaining data into the Access Table. Since I couldn't figure out how to do that, I just opted to link the Excel sheets as tables in Access and run basic queries on them.

Aussiebear
05-11-2010, 02:36 PM
Can we please ensure that threads have a title?