PDA

View Full Version : Update Excel 2003 range from MS Word 2003.

rose
05-06-2010, 09:04 AM
I have copied a range from Excel 2003 and pasted in MS Word 2003 File. I want that as soon as I click the excel range pasted in Word it should be opened for editing in Word 2003 itself and from whatever changes I do in Word 2003 file should reflect in Excel 2003 file. I have tried many times but it does not update in Excel 2003 or VICE VERSA if not possible then please give me a solution to edit/update from Excel Range. I have to do this task every day/month and this has been tedious for me. What may be the problem.

Another is that can I use Excel sheet to work as such like Word document to type running matters as well as table.

RonMcK3
05-06-2010, 09:45 AM
Rose,

It appears to me that to edit the value in Word you have to start with a value in Word (or a table of values in Word), copy that value or table (Edit > Copy) and then paste it into Excel (Edit > Paste Special), then, on the Paste Special dialog, select Paste Link (a radio button) and highlight Text, and press the OK button.

Now, when you change a value on the Word Doc, the same change is reflected on the Excel doc. Please note that this is uni-directional not bi-directional, you will be unable to change any of the linked data on the Excel document and have your change(s) reflected on the Word document.

Perhaps someone, here, has a better solution for you.

Cheers,

rose
05-06-2010, 10:51 AM
I am very sorry to say that the above is not a solution. What I am doing is that I am pasting a range (A1:H20) from Excel File to Word File as PASTE SPECIAL through highlighting Radio button - PASTE LINK and selecting Microsoft Office Excel Worksheet Object. When I paste the range and try to edit and change the value in the table of Word file, the changes are not reflected in the Excel Range from where I have copied.

RonMcK3
05-06-2010, 12:18 PM
I am very sorry to say that the above is not a solution. What I am doing is that I am pasting a range (A1:H20) from Excel File to Word File as PASTE SPECIAL through highlighting Radio button - PASTE LINK and selecting Microsoft Office Excel Worksheet Object. When I paste the range and try to edit and change the value in the table of Word file, the changes are not reflected in the Excel Range from where I have copied.
Rose,

Two points.
1. As I understand it, data updating is not bi-directional. If you enter the data in Excel and then Edit>Paste Special>Link it to Word, you can only enter (update) changes in Excel, these will then appear in Word. Efforts to enter changes in Word will not be passed back through to Excel.

The solution you desire is apparently unachievable. Perhaps I'm wrong and someone will point out how you can get your desired outcome.

2. Instead of selecting MS Office Excel Worksheet Object, consider selecting Unformatted Text.

Thanks,

rose
05-06-2010, 01:31 PM
Thanks RonMck3 for your effort. Unformatted text is not a good option as I want functionality of Excel in Word. You told that it is bi-directionaly not possible. Is it possible to update the Word file by editing in Excel Range i.e. I mean to say uni-directional. I think this is a tough task what I have asked.

rose
05-06-2010, 09:28 PM
OK. Any Idea if I want to update the Word File from Excel. Is it really hard to accomplish this task. I think this is really hard to update Excel range from MS Word. Any VBA programmer if any idea then please take effort to solve the issue. If there will be no solution then i will treat it as UNSOLVED and request to close the post.

RonMcK3
05-07-2010, 07:33 PM
Rose,

I set up a small table in Excel, populated it with numbers, clicked and highlighted the whole table (not the entire Excel worksheet!), did Edit-Copy, went to the Word Document, positioned the cursor where I want the upper left corner of the grid to be, did my Edit-Paste Special, clicking on Paste Links and chose Unformatted Text, and clicked OK.

Every change I made to the Excel table was reflected on the Word document.

Give it a try, see how it works for you. Try it both ways, once as Unformatted Text and once as an Excel Object. Change the data, decide which one works better for your needs.

Cheers!

rose
05-07-2010, 09:29 PM
Ron. Thanks. What you have explained, I have already done, but my problem is that I wanted to update/edit from MSWord to the range what I have pasted in Word from Exel, so that changes would be reflected in Excel. This has not been possible for me. If I paste it as Excel Object and try to edit/update in Word the changes are not reflected in Excel.

rose
05-10-2010, 12:06 AM
An APPEAL to VBA programmers once again. If any one have solution to this please guide me in this respect, as I have to prepare a booklet well formatted with the data of Excel.

TonyJollans
05-10-2010, 12:43 AM
When you Paste As Link, all that is in the Word Document is an image of, and a shortcut to, the Excel Workbook. The Word Document should show the latest contents of the Workbook. All edits are done in Excel, which is opened when you double click the image in the Word Document.

Can you describe exactly what you mean by editing in Word, and what does and/or does not happen?

rose
05-10-2010, 10:28 AM
Tony Sir. Thanks for your response. What I actually mean is that I am copying and pasting excel range in MS word by way of Copy from Excel and Paste Special then select Paste then select Microsoft Excel Worksheet Object. I do not want to paste it as image.

Now when I click the table/range pasted in Word it opens like excel sheet in Word. I change the figure etc., the changes get reflected in MS Word, but the same changes what I have done in Word is not reflected in MS Excel. I want the changes done in Word to be reflected in Excel also.

Please note that if pasting by way of Paste Link as Microsoft Excel workseet an image is pasted which is not editable in MS Word although editable in excel and updatable in word also.

Hope the above may clarify the position.

Best wishes for your new Website www.Wordarticles.com (http://www.Wordarticles.com) and hope this may grow very big to reach every Word users. One suggestion for your website will be that you post Free VBA Tutorial for Word, if possible and tips and tricks for completing difficult tasks not found in general Book Articles which are containing basic elements only. So have a change from regular pattern and develop a new way.

TonyJollans
05-10-2010, 10:56 AM
Hi Rose,

Perhaps my terminology was a little misleading, - sorry. However, I'm not sure I'm fully understanding what you are saying.

If you Paste a Link, then you have one workbook, editable in Excel (by double clicking the link in Word if you want, or by opening it directly in Excel). Word does not hold the data, just a link to it, and should show the current data. I think we're both saying the same thing about this.

If you Paste a copy (not a Link) then you have two worksheets - the original one in Excel and the copy inside the Word Document. Updates to one will not affect the other. Word holds a copy of the data and does not refer to the original. If this is what you are seeing, that's how it works and you can't do anything about it.

Please tell me if I have misunderstood anything.

------------

Thank you for the kind words about my web site. It is high time I updated it. I try to (or would like to) do two things - document my journeys into the further reaches of Word, and provide information not available elsewhere. I am in the middle of writing about Policies and Admin Templates, but am not yet sure whether I will upload it. I do have the beginnings of a Word VBA tutorial that I started years ago, but never finished. It all needs redoing now, as I unfortunately chose to use toolbars as a vehicle for most of it. Now that Microsoft have tied Word up in Ribbons, I need to do it all over again.

rose
05-10-2010, 10:07 PM
Tony Sir. Thanks. What you have mentioned in 03rd Para, I want to accomplish that. But you are saying that the copy of the Excels are maintained individually in Word and Excel and updating from any one is not possible. This is what I wanted to do by way of VBA or any other technique.

TonyJollans
05-11-2010, 04:26 AM
The technique to use is to Paste as a Link. What reason do you have for not wanting to do that?