PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Object library invalid........

MacDaddy
05-24-2010, 01:44 AM
I'm attempting to 'upgrade' a file from Excel 2000 to Excel 2007. The file contains many macros which don't work under 2007.

When I try to run any of the macros I receive the error message: "Object library invalid or contains references to object definitions that could not be found".

I have checked the references under both 2000 and 2007 and the only differences are that the 2000 version uses Microsoft Excel 9.0 Object Library and Microsoft Office 9.0 Object Library whereas under Excel 2007 it's using Microsoft Excel 12.0 Object Library and Microsoft Office 12.0 Object Library.

Is this causing the problem and if it is why are the later versions of these object libraries not backward compatible with earlier versions?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

GTO
05-24-2010, 05:29 AM
Certainly no expertise here, as I do not have 2007. When you get the errors, have you checked the references to see what it says is 'MISSING:'?

Usually, going to a newer version is cake, as the newer version knows where to sub libraries/versions. The only thing I've personally heard of 'disappearing' was Application.FileSearch.

MacDaddy
05-24-2010, 05:56 AM
I've checked the references and there is nothing missing and the only differences are going from version 9.0 to 12.0 of the MS Excel Object Library and MS Office Object Library.

:confused3

FF Ethan
05-24-2010, 10:58 AM
Sounds like a pretty big problem. Can you post an example of what your getting errors on?

Aussiebear
05-24-2010, 04:05 PM
Why its not backward compatible is a question for Microsoft. However it is reasonable to assume that with each version released there should be "improvements". These improvements sometimes means that somethings may be no longer available or have been changed and this effects its compatability.

MacDaddy
05-25-2010, 03:26 AM
Right then.

I seem to have 'solved' the problem after a serious session of head scratching.

The problem actually got worse in that for a time I was unabe to save the file on top of the problem with the macros not running. I seem to remember having this problem before and it having something to do with the macros not being loaded into memory - or something like that.

I looked through the different modules and forms in the file and came across an obsolete userform, after deleting it all my problems went away. The macros started working and I was able to save the file again.

Not much of a solution I know, but everything is hunky dory again.