PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED:] Combining Excel Chart Types

BexleyManor
05-15-2005, 03:05 PM
Hi folks, Hope you all hand a pleasant weekend ?

I had until I decided to implode my head with this little beauty!! :banghead::bug:

Is it possible to combine two chart types (Line and Stock) on the same chart? I've just spent the last hour attempting to and had no success.

I have a stock chart with a high low close series which I wish to include two other series on the chart HiB, LoB, but I'd like these to be in line form, not stock.

Can it be done? :dunno
**fingers crossed**

Jacob Hilderbrand
05-15-2005, 05:15 PM
Right click on the data series you want to change and select Chart Type.

BexleyManor
05-16-2005, 02:37 AM
Hi Jake,

This was one of the first things I attempted but no matter how I tweak, I can't appear to get the effect I want!! For your information I'm attempting to create a stock chart with a hi/Lo/Close series but with two Bollinger Band line series. Just to be sure it's not me I will check over my data sources first then report back....

Andy Pope
05-16-2005, 03:23 AM
Hi,

After you have change the chart type to line try plotting the extra data series on the secondary axis.

If that doesn't work for you can you post a small example file?

BexleyManor
05-16-2005, 04:38 AM
Hi Andy,

Copy of workbook as requested, I can't look at it anymore, It's laughing in my face and taunting me!! :bug:

Thanks for taking the time to look over this one, much appreciated.

:bow:

Andy Pope
05-16-2005, 04:53 AM
Hi,

First remove the HB LB data series.
Then change the chart type to stock hi-lo-close.
Add 2 data series based on HB and LB.
Select and these and change the chart type to line.

Hopefully the attached chart is what you are expecting.

BexleyManor
05-16-2005, 06:04 AM
Andy,

Thanks for the prompt response, much appreciated.

OK, your example works perfectly with the data, the only thing is the actual way the data is then displayed. I'll attempt to explain...

Prior to adding the HB & LB series the Hi/Lo/Close series look exactly how I expect and want. When I then add the HB & LB the look changes. I'd hoped it would appear like the following http://www.investopedia.com/articles/technical/102201.asp but instead the hi/low/close appear to stretch to fit in between the HB & LB? Is there anything I can do to alter this and make it more like the latter example??

Thanks, again!!

Andy Pope
05-16-2005, 06:18 AM
Ok try this.

Create chart on Hi-Lo-close
Use source data to add 2 new series, expect the default {1} values.
Move both new series to the secondary axis.
Use the source data dialog to apply named ranges to new series.
You should be able to delete the secondary y axis.

BexleyManor
05-16-2005, 06:48 AM
Andy, I owe you one mate. :bow:

Thanks soooo much for your help, I can move onto the next headwreak now!!

Rgds,

Chris