PDA

View Full Version : Visual Basic (for applications)

shrivallabha
05-27-2010, 07:37 AM
I have got a lot of help through this forum and been able to build up application. Thank you for your support :bow: . Along the project I had few doubts regarding VB and VBA. They are as here below:

1. When I built up application in Excel using VBA then I knew behind those buttons was VBA programming. But how does the VB program itself work? e.g. as soon as a user types in VB keywords it turns them blue. So there must be some program behind VB which makes it tick. To sum it up: How is VB or VBA built? Sorry if I have used incorrect parlance.

2. The programming decision: When shall we opt for programming in VBA? Repetitive situations in which we have very little or no checking to do. Not for everything we need to build an application.

3. I come in here and read the posts regularly (almost daily) and have bought some books that were recommended (by search tool). Will it be sufficient? This is what I do as pass time and I love it. However, I know the power and ability it has to save time and manual labor. Or tutoring is must? I want to improve my programming skills.

Thank you in advance!

Warm Regards,

shrivallabha
05-27-2010, 07:58 AM
This is basically a Text File generator (with and without spaces) and can import text files and then re-convert them to text after editing. This reduces efforts of editing and generating the text files with and without spaces. This can be used by persons working in piping field for Material Take Off.

Thank you once again!

Bob Phillips
05-27-2010, 08:04 AM
1. When I built up application in Excel using VBA then I knew behind those buttons was VBA programming. But how does the VB program itself work? e.g. as soon as a user types in VB keywords it turns them blue. So there must be some program behind VB which makes it tick. To sum it up: How is VB or VBA built? Sorry if I have used incorrect parlance.

That is all handled by the VBIDE, all part of the environment.

2. The programming decision: When shall we opt for programming in VBA? Repetitive situations in which we have very little or no checking to do. Not for everything we need to build an application.

That is a big question. Many things, probably most, can be done with VBA or without VBA. As you say, if you do something regularly, it is often best to create a simple VBA procedure to do that task, and assign it to a button or a menu. I have many such procedures to run things that I often need, and a custom toolbar to drive them.

By rule of thumb I do it in Excel if I can, in VBA if it starts getting too complex. If I need it regulalrly, VBA again.

3. I come in here and read the posts regularly (almost daily) and have bought some books that were recommended (by search tool). Will it be sufficient? This is what I do as pass time and I love it. However, I know the power and ability it has to save time and manual labor. Or tutoring is must? I want to improve my programming skills.

Again, it depends. It depends upon how much implicit coding skills you have, how much time you are prepared to spend, and whether you have any 'real' projects that you can use to build your new-found skills upon. There is never a substitute IMO for a real need.

Tinbendr
05-27-2010, 08:21 AM
I am dumbfounded by people in my office that write the same information over and over and over.....

To me, that's what computers do best.

Like XLD said, it's the repetition that drives me to writing some VBA code.

mdmackillop
05-27-2010, 09:03 AM
I am dumbfounded by people in my office that write the same information over and over and over.....

You mean =REPT("over and ",3) :beerchug:

Tinbendr
05-27-2010, 09:40 AM
You mean =REPT("over and ",3) :beerchug:HA! That's a real knee slapper! :thumb

shrivallabha
05-27-2010, 09:47 AM
You mean =REPT("over and ",3) :beerchug:
Lolz :rofl:

Thank you for your inputs, xld.
1. VBIDE I searched on google. Here is what I found.
http://www.tutorialized.com/view/tutorial/Introduction-to-VB-IDE/3869

2. Understood. The decision making shall depend on the task frequency!

3. That really is insightful. I use my personal time. It was pure chance that I came across VBA. I do not have real projects as assigned work. This real project I found when I was working, rather slogging with text files. I hope to find similar cases in future as well. But it gives me satisfaction which sometimes I do not get out of office work (A little paradoxical but true!). I intend to continue.

And in the end being an idiot that I am, I searched (googled) for IMO but got some irrelevant full forms. What does "IMO" mean?

Bob Phillips
05-27-2010, 09:59 AM
Lolz :rofl:

Thank you for your inputs, xld.
1. VBIDE I searched on google. Here is what I found.
http://www.tutorialized.com/view/tutorial/Introduction-to-VB-IDE/3869

2. Understood. The decision making shall depend on the task frequency!

3. That really is insightful. I use my personal time. It was pure chance that I came across VBA. I do not have real projects as assigned work. This real project I found when I was working, rather slogging with text files. I hope to find similar cases in future as well. But it gives me satisfaction which sometimes I do not get out of office work (A little paradoxical but true!). I intend to continue.

And in the end being an idiot that I am, I searched (googled) for IMO but got some irrelevant full forms. What does "IMO" mean?

That link is for VB but most of it is as relevant to VB.

IMO stands for In My Opinion.