PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Alternate Wording without dropdown

SilverSN95
06-01-2010, 07:23 AM
Hi,

I've been struggling with finding a way to allow a user of a word form/document to select a certain wording when filling it out.

Basically, there are two versions of certain wording where one or the other needs to display based on the users choice. The first thing I tried was a simple text drop-down, but quickly found out that the longer wording would not fit.

Ive attached an isolated sample of what I am trying to do. Basically, this works exactly how I would want, except if a user were to print this the check box would be visible. As far as I can tell, there is no real way to hide this check box. The only other solution I can think of is to create a user-form that prompts the user to make a choice when they open the document.

What we are doing now is just including both wordings and asking the user to delete the unnecessary one, so the desired solution would be simpler than doing this.

Please let me know if I can modify the sample above to achieve what I am looking for, or if there is a better alternative.

Thanks!

mdmackillop
06-01-2010, 10:25 AM
Select the textbox and change its font to Hidden.

fumei
06-01-2010, 10:56 AM
It really depends on what your situation is, and what your requirements really are. Here is another route. Click "Back and Forth" on the top toolbar.

Another route would be using AutoText.

You could fire the procedure with a keyboard shortcut. You could put it on as a menu item.

You could add a removal of the checkbox on document save if you want to get rid of it.

SilverSN95
06-01-2010, 11:53 AM
Thanks, selecting the box and setting font to hidden seems to work. I thought I tried this before, but must have thought it didn't work as it still displayed in print-preview.

Fumei, those are good ideas, although maybe not the best for this time around, but how did you get that macro to run from the toolbar? I'm playing around with tools>Customize but can't seem to figure out what you did.

fumei
06-01-2010, 12:42 PM
1. Tools > Customize

2. Select the Command tab

3. Select Macros from the Categories

4. make sure the Save in: shows the document that contains the macro. The default is Normal.dot, so most often you have to change it.

5. scroll down the Commands. As the procedure BackAndForth is in the ThisDocument code module, it shows as:

Project.ThisDocument.BackAndForth

6. Grab it and drag it to the toolbar and release. It will shows as:

Project.ThisDocument.BackAndForth surrounded by a heavy black border.

7. right click it. This gives options as to how it is displayed. Click in the name field, and change (as I did) to Back And Forth. The spaces. You can make it anything you want. Yadda or Blah....whatever.

The Name is just the displayed name. The OnAction result (what is actually executed) will still be Sub BackAndForth. Note that if you change the name of the Sub itself, this will no longer work - again because its OnAction is stored as BackAndForth.

You can also change it to an icon if you like, or both icon and text. Demo now has a happy face and "Yadda and Whatever". You can import an icon image (via a copy/paste), or edit existing ones.

When you are done, click OK on the Customize dialog.