PDA

View Full Version : Help using Access as backend for Excel

Jacob Edison
06-02-2010, 01:30 PM
Hello Everyone,

Someone plz help me with using Access as a backend and excel as frontend for my project.:help

I have an excel with a table with several columns. I have added List box on the sheet to display all rows and columns. Now, is is possible that i can export all the data from my table in Excel to an Access and then query the table for certain values and import it again to a different sheet.

(i'm also open for any suggestion on changing the frontend or backend software: pray2:)

Blade Hunter
06-02-2010, 05:15 PM
Why do you want to export it then import it? How large is your data set?

Jacob Edison
06-02-2010, 08:12 PM
Its not very big now (like from A1 to J20), but as days go by, we will keep adding rows to the table.

What i wanted to do was, maintain the Table in access and display a filtered range in excel. But the users (using excel) will also need to add to the list.

i'm using access and excel cos these are the only softwares i know that support DB.:dunno

Blade Hunter
06-02-2010, 08:50 PM
Its not very big now (like from A1 to J20), but as days go by, we will keep adding rows to the table.

What i wanted to do was, maintain the Table in access and display a filtered range in excel. But the users (using excel) will also need to add to the list.

i'm using access and excel cos these are the only softwares i know that support DB.:dunno

What sort of post presentation calculations will you be doing? If it is just display data would you not be better off doing the whole thing in Access?

Do you have an example of the data and how it will be used?

If you do end up going down the Excel / Access path, it shouldn't be too hard to read and write to the DB. I have done this many times but generally I use Oracle or MSSql DB's. It should be similar though using ADO and just a different connection string.

I can supply examples if you need.

Jacob Edison
06-03-2010, 02:52 PM
What sort of post presentation calculations will you be doing? If it is just display data would you not be better off doing the whole thing in Access?

Do you have an example of the data and how it will be used?

If you do end up going down the Excel / Access path, it shouldn't be too hard to read and write to the DB. I have done this many times but generally I use Oracle or MSSql DB's. It should be similar though using ADO and just a different connection string.

I can supply examples if you need.

Hi!!

Here is the Excel file i have come up with... Its not complete yet.

please let me know if excel and access will be good enough for this or should i use Oracle or MSSql as you already suggested.

Jacob Edison
06-03-2010, 03:17 PM
Oops! forgot to mention.
There will 3-4 users using this on different systems..