PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Cells showing as formulas...not results.

DanOfEarth
06-09-2010, 06:47 AM
For some reason, suddenly a group of cells are showing as formulas, not the result. I did nothing to them. I've checked the formatting, everything. There's no "quotes" around the formula. And the cell above it is acting normal. I cannot fix it.

And the formula is really only a reference to another cell:

='Import Data'!C7

In fifteen years of Excel, I've never had this happen to me.

Any ideas?

JimmyTheHand
06-09-2010, 07:35 AM
In short: Tools -> Options -> Display -> Window properties -> Formulas (or something like that) Jimmy

DanOfEarth
06-09-2010, 08:29 AM
Well,

In cell C4, I have the text: "Harris County"

In cell D3, I have: "=C4"...without the quotes.

D3 should also display: "Harris County" in the cell

Instead, D3 is actually displaying "=C4"., the formula.

About 20 cells are doing this. I can't figure out why. I've tried everything.

mbarron
06-09-2010, 08:52 AM
Check the cell formatting, it may be set to Text
If the cells are not set to text, try pressing Ctrl + ` (the key above the Tab key on US keyboard - the one with the tilde ~).

Bob Phillips
06-09-2010, 09:21 AM
In short: Tools -> Options -> Display -> Window properties -> Formulas (or something like that) Jimmy

It can also be reset with Ctrl-`, the tick mark above the Tab key (at least on my keyboard)

DanOfEarth
06-09-2010, 02:13 PM
Yes,

Thank you thank you. Ultimately, that was what it was, however how it got switched to "Text" I don't know...those cells were locked.

Strangely, I would switch those to "text" formatting and it wouldn't change. I immediately knew to check that.

Only until I switched the format to "text" first, then erased the formula, then rewrote it....did it finally display correctly. I DID NOT know that that was an anomaly in Excel....never came across it.:think:

You guys rock.