PDA

View Full Version : Copy a table from an excel sheet to an Embedded Excel Chart Object's Sheet

avtarxing
06-14-2010, 08:11 AM
I need to copy a table(range of cells) from an excel sheet to an Excel Chart Object's Sheet embedded in a PowerPoint Slide

Scenario:
Excel File (Test.xls): Contains a table

Power Point File (Test.ppt): Contains an embedded Excel Chart Object, when I double click on this it shows me two excel worksheets - Chart(this sheet contains a chart), and the other sheet, Sheet1 (contains table which is identical to the table in Test.xls)

How do i copy data from the table in Test.xls to the table in Sheet1 in the object in Test.ppt? :dunno

Thanks in Advance!!!

Bob Phillips
06-14-2010, 08:25 AM
Why don't you just add the table as a datatable to the chart?

avtarxing
06-14-2010, 08:33 AM
@xld: Do you mean I should make the chart in the PP refer to the table in the Excel file?

avtarxing
06-14-2010, 08:38 AM
The power point slide contains an embedded Excel Chart Object. This shows a chart which represents the data in the same Object's 2nd Sheet i.e. named as Sheet1......I want to update that Sheet1 as per data of same range as of this table......If I make the chart refer to that excel sheet...who ever wants to update the chart will need to carry the excel sheet too.....if i could make a macro to copy data from an excel sheet to an embedded excel sheet...it would be gr8 as it would give the user flexibility to update the sheet with the macro as well as manually.

Bob Phillips
06-14-2010, 11:10 AM
No I mean set the datatable. Right-click the chart, select Chart Options, select the Datatable tab and check the Set data table box.

avtarxing
06-16-2010, 08:10 AM
I right click on the chart in the PowerPoint slide , but do not see the chart options and the chart options in the Excel sheet have no option to update the table in PP automatically.

Attached is a sample Excel and Power Point file. The Table in the Excel sheet is identical to that of the chart's table in the embedded object in the PP slide.

I am trying to find a way out that each time I make changes to the Table in the Excel sheet, I just run a macro and the new values get updated in the Sheet1 of the Embedded object in PP Slide which ofcourse would update the chart.

Thanks,

avtar

Bob Phillips
06-16-2010, 09:37 AM
Build the chart in Excel and link that to the PPT slide.

avtarxing
06-22-2010, 05:21 AM
That is one way to do it, but is there any way to achieve the same through VBA coding....