PDA

View Full Version : Solved: email from within excel using outlook

PeterNZ
06-26-2010, 03:48 PM
Hi Guys

I want to send email from excel (using outlook) I have some code that does exactly that very well . But now I need to be able to set up a way to pick certain groups of email addresses to sent to .I was thinking of perhaps a userform popup activated by keyboard shortcut to launch it. Having a radio button list and a go button User can select a radio button and click go. which should check a named range on another sheet (or text file ) to get the list of email addresses to populate the outlook dialogbox. I would need to have 11 areas for user to pick one from.

will be useing this on excel 2003 and outlook 2003.
here is the code that works well for a predefined email address.

Public Sub SendIt()

Application.Dialogs(xlDialogSendMail).Show arg1:="toWho@somewhere.com", _
arg2:="Subject goes here"

End Sub

Thanks Guys.:help

Aussiebear
06-27-2010, 12:54 AM
What are the rules by which the email recipients are chosen by? Can it be defined within Excel? If so then I'm assuming that you could have a dropdown list to select the group required.

PeterNZ
06-27-2010, 01:23 AM
Yes certainly, preferred within excel . Main problem is outlook has people listed as individuals (thousands of them) and also as a group (entire site) I wish to be able to create (once) Area lists of email addresses that can be auto-inserted at the click of a button . But having those lists of emails in another sheet or text file for easy additions /changes later. Perhaps groups can be created in outlook itself but why go there if we can avoid it?. Wanna keep it to Excel as much as possible.

mdmackillop
06-27-2010, 11:29 AM
Can you post a workbook showing the code you have and address etc. layouts

PeterNZ
06-27-2010, 06:25 PM
Hi, well I believe I have cacked it myself Got some code for sendmail from Mr Ron Debruin I found on MSDN Thanks Mr Debruin! Did the rest Myself(not well tested yet) but seems to work well so far. I will atatch workbook for you to check, any advice on improvements would be appriciated. :beerchug:

PeterNZ
06-27-2010, 08:26 PM
attatching excel 2003 version Works you just need to insert email addresses seperated by ; 's in sheet three in the 5 area named ranges .Uses control + m shortcut to run it.

GTO
06-28-2010, 11:13 AM
Greetings Peter,

Well, it looks like you did well in solving this on your own. Well done!

As you mentioned 'any suggestions', here's what took me a bit too long to cobble together.

It appears that our circumstances are different, in that, if I was to use this at work, I have to allow for being asked for a password, and I'm certainly not 'all that' at Outlook. Additionally, I ran into a problem in testing at home, related to either a sick laptop or an xl2000 issue possibly. Anyways, I got a chance to try at work (2003) and this seems to work.

If nothing else, take a look at the function RetList(), as this could give you a way to enter the addresses in each cell (down a column) rather than needing to write the whole distribution list in one cell.

Well, I hope that's a little help at least,

Mark

GTO
06-28-2010, 11:16 AM
PS. Thanks for posting in .xls format, as there's plenty of members who still are limited to this :-)

mdmackillop
06-28-2010, 01:13 PM
You could also try using the format (ignore the underline)
John <js@test.com>
which should put the Recipient's name in the To field

PeterNZ
06-29-2010, 12:39 AM
Thanks for the tips guys, good stuff as always :thumb