GTO
06-28-2010, 03:08 PM
Can someone please explain the difference between:

Application.ScreenUpdating = True

and

Application.ScreenUpdating = SaveUpdating

Thanks,

Opv

Is the second one availalble in 2007 or 2010? Prior, returns/sets a flag.

Opv
06-28-2010, 03:11 PM
Is the second one availalble in 2007 or 2010? Prior, returns/sets a flag.

I really don't know. I am using Excel 2000. If I'm understanding you correctly, it sounds like for Excel 2000 I should probably be using "= True".

GTO
06-28-2010, 05:02 PM
I really don't know. I am using Excel 2000. If I'm understanding you correctly, it sounds like for Excel 2000 I should probably be using "= True".

Me too (at home). I'd like to get 2003 just to match work, but found out we are starting to load 2007.

Anyways, .ScreenUpdating is a True/False deal. If you set it to False at the start of any code that is changing many cells values, your code will run faster. This is because repainting the screen is like repainting a wall after every little mark you put on it.

Remember to set it back to True at the end of each section/possible exit.

Mark

Opv
06-28-2010, 05:11 PM
Me too (at home). I'd like to get 2003 just to match work, but found out we are starting to load 2007.

Anyways, .ScreenUpdating is a True/False deal. If you set it to False at the start of any code that is changing many cells values, your code will run faster. This is because repainting the screen is like repainting a wall after every little mark you put on it.

Remember to set it back to True at the end of each section/possible exit.

Mark

I feel so stupid. That "SaveUpdaing" turned out to be a variable name that had set equal the current Application.screenUpdating status (i.e., "True"). The reason I overlooked that initially was that I couldn't imagine anyone going to that much trouble. It seems to me it takes more keystrokes to turn screen updating back on by typing "Application.screenUpdating = SaveUpdating" than it does to just type "Application.screenUpdating = True".

Go figure. At any rate, it's a moot point now that I know what was going on.

Thanks.

Opv