PDA

View Full Version : Sleeper: Page footer: page one of x, sub page 1 of 2

buffyslay
05-19-2005, 03:09 AM
:banghead:
ok - am trying to get my head around this - but failing miserably..
is there any way to do the following -

i have a doc with various sections, and 23 pages in total.
some sections go over two page - (lists of staff etc)

is there any way to do something like the following without having to
do it all by hand.....?

Page footer: page one of x, sub page 1 of 2

Bob Phillips
05-19-2005, 03:18 AM
ok - am trying to get my head around this - but failing miserably..
is there any way to do the following -

i have a doc with various sections, and 23 pages in total.
some sections go over two page - (lists of staff etc)

is there any way to do something like the following without having to
do it all by hand.....?

Page footer: page one of x, sub page 1 of 2

Adding a footer with a page number is simple, the File>PageSetup provides facilities to achieve this. Hower. numbering sections is another matter, as Excel does not have a concept of sections (after all it is not a word-processor, even though lots of people think it is :doh:).

Off the top, I cannot see how you could manage section numbering, as I think you would need to manage the incrementing number yourself, and as the print will take over, you lose that control.

MWE
05-19-2005, 01:19 PM
Adding a footer with a page number is simple, the File>PageSetup provides facilities to achieve this. Hower. numbering sections is another matter, as Excel does not have a concept of sections (after all it is not a word-processor, even though lots of people think it is :doh:).

Off the top, I cannot see how you could manage section numbering, as I think you would need to manage the incrementing number yourself, and as the print will take over, you lose that control.

Actually, there is a way to do this, but it requires a modest amount of initial setup. Luckily, the "setup" structure can can be migrated from spreadhseet to spreadsheet). It requires that you set up some form of sheet management structure (SMS), assign sheets to the structure and then have a "special" print macro that consults the SMS, revises headers/foots/etc and send pages to the printer. This is one of the items I have in the queue to submit as a KB item

Bob Phillips
05-19-2005, 01:29 PM
It requires that you set up some form of sheet management structure (SMS), assign sheets to the structure and then have a "special" print macro that consults the SMS, revises headers/foots/etc and send pages to the printer. This is one of the items I have in the queue to submit as a KB item

Do you mean that you identify the sheets manually, and then tell the print management routine, which identifies each page one at a time and prints it? If so, this is what I was referring to as managing it yourself. You can stop automatic printing, but the management routine would need to cater for so many variations it could be un-manageable. I would like to see your routine, but I struggle to see that it would be better than just having a simple routine that pads a page out with blank lines and inserts the number in a final line, and then just using the built-in print.

buffyslay
05-20-2005, 12:53 AM
just having a simple routine that pads a page out with blank lines and inserts the number in a final line, and then just using the built-in print.

i think this might work - if i can work out how to reference the page breaks....