PDA

View Full Version : Parse Text

zrupnick
07-02-2010, 01:26 PM
Since I'm new to VBA, I having trouble parsing text in excel I have attached a sheet where I bring it over into excel in the ERR Sheet and I want to sort it like the WO sheet. Any help will be appreicated. Thanks

Bob Phillips
07-02-2010, 03:15 PM
I am struggling to see how to work out what goes in column B.

RonMcK
07-02-2010, 04:10 PM
And what goes in Col. D. "Equip ID" and where does it come from? I didn't notice any data for that field among your sample records.

zrupnick
07-02-2010, 04:43 PM
Yes, that's hard to figure out becasue there is really no rhyme or reason. If it get populated then there is something

zrupnick
07-02-2010, 04:45 PM
Equipment ID gets populated only if there is something in that field in another program. In this example there is nothing. Maybe if i can get a start then I might be able to figure it out if and when it get populated.

Bob Phillips
07-03-2010, 04:23 AM
Yes, that's hard to figure out becasue there is really no rhyme or reason. If it get populated then there is something

If that is the case, you have asolutely no chance of writing code to do it. Code needs both a rhyme and a reason, we don't do AI in VBA.

RonMcK3
07-06-2010, 07:26 AM

How does the report get created that you want to import into an Excel worksheet? Can you (or can the person who prints it for you) cause the report program to print a "separator" character between fields? (Some character, like the pipe symbol ("|").)

How did you determine the data for Column B when you created the "sample" target "WO" worksheet? Knowing this may help us help you outline 'rhyme and reason.'

Thanks,

zrupnick
07-06-2010, 01:25 PM
Here is a copy of how the text file looks before I bring it over into excel. It is a text file, I just copied it to word for now. It seems that the first 9 or 10 charactors in the second line determine the location. I don't know if thsi helps. Maybe something with out the location for now until I can make sure it's they imput it with a special charactor like a / or somthing. Again thanks for all the help.