PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Compare two sheets semi-manually

zaboo9
07-14-2010, 10:08 AM
Brief info on what I'm doing: We have a large database (2,000+ records for customers) and when we get new customers, we need to find out if they're in the database before doing anything else; this is the step I'm on. I have worksheets "Old" and "New", Old is the current database (I created test data and a small amount of records) New is the incoming data (Let's assume 100/month).

I have a program that compares the two worksheets, "Old" and "New," It compares their "MJ Number" and if they match, it copies the "Old" row and places it in the "Match" worksheet." If any "Old" row doesn't have a match with "New," it places it in "NoMatch_Old." IT ONLY COMPARES BASED ON MJ NUMBER, NOTHING ELSE. (By running and checking the code I'm sure it will be a better explanation than mine)

I'm not concerned with the "NoMatch_Old" information that is populated, so feel free to not even look at it.

Not all customers have MJ Numbers, nor are the customers names always entered/spelled the same. What I want to do is have a way to manually search in "Old" by having an input box where I can type some text and see if there are any matches. For example: In my data I have the company "Florida Co." in the Customer column of "New" that didn't match with anything; I want to type "Flo" in the input box and find all Customers that have "Flo" from the "Old" worksheet.

When I find what I feel is a match by this manual way of looking things up, I am planning on manually copying the information I need from "Old" and "New" and placing it into "Match." If you think there is a better/easier way, feel free to try it but don't feel obligated.

I hope that makes sense. Let me know if ther are questions.