PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Automate Chart Series

cmpgeek
06-17-2004, 06:35 AM
in order to help promote this forum (referring to jamescol's post) i thought i would ask something i have always wondered about and have been unable to find an answer for as of yet...

is it possible to automate a chart so that the different blocks or whatever show up when you click on the mouse? when i took the class ages ago all they could show us was how to automate the chart, but not the individual pieces that make up the chart... i was just curious if it is possible as i would like to do it without haveing to make individual text boxes in the future...

:creator:

Anne Troy
06-17-2004, 08:40 AM
What do you mean "show up", cmpgeek? Can you define that?

:)

cmpgeek
06-17-2004, 10:53 AM
sorry about that confusion - i was talking about animating it so that only the top level would be there at first... then when you click on the mouse the next level would show up - one entry at a time (in whatever order you chose) until the entire chart is complete... the time i wanted to do this was when i was doing a presentation on the operating room and i made a chart starting with the the Director of Surgical Services and branched down from there. i wanted to be able to discuss each position within the heirachy, what its responsibilies were and so on and when i finished with that position, i could click on the mouse and the next position would appear in whatever type of animation was chosen... (does that make sense this time?)

sorry about not explaining it well the first time...

Anne Troy
06-17-2004, 11:01 AM
That would be pretty tough. A chart with multiple values is a chart with multiple values, so you'd literally have to create multiple charts, adding a value each time, then link to the slide that's got the *next level* on it, which isn't hard at all...

But this would be so specific due to chart types, number of series, etc., I think it'd be pretty tough to come up with a *generic* solution for any chart...

Just my 2 cents, but I'm no coder.

cmpgeek
06-17-2004, 11:10 AM
oh well, its not THAT hard to do the other way, but i figured it never hurts to ask right?

now if i can only figure out why all my URLs are coming out bring pink no matter what font color i choose life will be better lol

thanks for your help :)

Anne Troy
06-17-2004, 11:13 AM
URLs where, compgeek? In PowerPoint? Is there a style called hyperlink attached to your urls?

cmpgeek
06-17-2004, 12:51 PM
when i list online references in PowerPoint they keep showing up in bright pink no matter what i do...

how do i go about checking for this "hyperlink" style? if it is there it is not something i did intentially...

thanks again :)

Anne Troy
06-17-2004, 12:58 PM
Why did I think PPT had styles?
You're asking me?
Hee hee...
Sorry about that!

Anne Troy
06-17-2004, 01:01 PM
Okay. Something similar happening to me too.
Only it's real pale blue.
To get rid of it...
Delete some of the url from the end of it and replace it, but do NOT hit enter or space afterward (this turns the text into a hyperlink, which appears to cause this behavior). Then, select the textbox, and put the hyperlink on the textbox via Insert-Hyperlink.

I think that'll do it for ya.

cmpgeek
06-17-2004, 01:05 PM
kewl! i will try it as soon as i get home tonight...

jamescol
06-17-2004, 01:32 PM
Animation effects are challinging in PPT 2000. PPt 2002 introduced the TimeLine and AnimationSettings objects which significantly eases prgramming timing/animation effects. Read more about this topic at

http://www.msdn.microsoft.com/office/understanding/powerpoint/techarticles/default.aspx?pull=/library/en-us/odc_pp2003_ta/html/odc_pp_animationsoms.asp

Cheers,
James

jamescol
06-17-2004, 01:38 PM
Also, for the hyperlink color question, try these steps. Since I'm using PPT2003, your steps may differ - but you should be able to locate the correct option.

1. click on Format menu
2. click on slide design
3. this will open the slide design in the task pane towords the right side
4. click on the Color schemes
5. then click on edit color schemes at the bottom
6. this will open edit color scheme window
7. click the color next to Accent and hyperlink and hit change color
8. this will open Accent and hyperlink color window.
9. select the color that you want to apply for the hyperlinks and hit ok
10. then hit apply and close the edit color scheme window.

Anne Troy
06-23-2004, 12:10 PM
Hey, girl. Did you ever try this? Did we ever get anything accomplished? :)

cmpgeek
06-23-2004, 12:32 PM
oops - sorry i did not come back and let yall know... i am usually better about that...

both options work great!

thanks again and again - i am sorry for you getting back to you sooner... i promise to do better next time...

Anne Troy
06-23-2004, 12:33 PM
No problem. I'll just mark it solved.