PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Populating csv. file with text values

Kaizer
05-24-2005, 03:20 AM
Hi guys,

I have an excel file with accounts sitting in column A and values sitting in column B. Accounts may look like: 40000, TotNetSls, and 60300.30150. With the code I take accounts that have some values and put them into an array. After, I put the values into csv file. Here I get the issue with the accounts like 60300.30150. In my csv file I get 60300.3015. As you can see last zero is missing. Do you know how to fix it and get the right account number?

Thank you in advance.

Kaizer

xld
05-24-2005, 03:35 AM
Hi guys,

I have an excel file with accounts sitting in column A and values sitting in column B. Accounts may look like: 40000, TotNetSls, and 60300.30150. With the code I take accounts that have some values and put them into an array. After, I put the values into csv file. Here I get the issue with the accounts like 60300.30150. In my csv file I get 60300.3015. As you can see last zero is missing.

If you are getting the value from a cell that is formatted as such, use the text property

Range("A1").Text

or format it yourself

Format(myVar, "00000.0000")

Kaizer
05-24-2005, 03:50 AM
If you are getting the value from a cell that is formatted as such, use the text property

Range("A1").Text

or format it yourself

Format(myVar, "00000.0000")

Before posting my question here I changed the format of all my accounts to Text. It did not work. Besides, I have checked the value for one particular account that was sitting in my array and it looked just fine. I guess the problem happens when I populate the csv file.

mvidas
05-24-2005, 04:53 AM
Kaizer,

Are you noticing that problem once you re-open it in excel?
Look at the file in notepad, the trailing zero should be there. Excel treats every field in a csv as general when it is opened by double clicking or file/open, so it is cutting off that last zero. You can get around this using .OpenText in vba, or Data / Get External Data / Import Text File (so you can use the wizard) from within excel.

Matt

Kaizer
05-25-2005, 03:02 AM
Kaizer,

Are you noticing that problem once you re-open it in excel?
Look at the file in notepad, the trailing zero should be there. Excel treats every field in a csv as general when it is opened by double clicking or file/open, so it is cutting off that last zero. You can get around this using .OpenText in vba, or Data / Get External Data / Import Text File (so you can use the wizard) from within excel.

Matt

Thank you Matt,

The solution you suggest is quite long. I think I will solve it by putting the values into the new .xls file.:hi: