PDA

View Full Version : MS Sql Reporting Services configuration problem

hunsnowboard
08-09-2010, 05:00 AM
Hi Everyone!

I hope this is the right forum I write. Please try to help me as I am very desperate. First of all I do not know anything about server installation and running servers. I do have a basic knowledge of programming in visual basic, html, css and basic sql queries in ms access but never installed servers. I would like to apply for a new position within my company but they require at least basic knowledge of microsoft reporting services 2005. So I decided to install the express version on my home computer. Installation went smooth (however I had to install IIS). Right after installation I would like to configure the report server but it does not connect! During the installation everything was right, but the very first step after installation fails.

The "Tell me more about the problem and how to solve it" says:

"System.ServiceProcess.TimeoutException: Time out has expired and the operation has not been completed.
at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceController.WaitForStatus(ServiceControllerStat us desiredStatus, TimeSpan timeout)
at ReportServicesConfigUI.Panels.ServerInformationPanel.StartStopServiceTask(B oolean start)"

Please, please try to help me if you can I am so desperate! :help

cross-post: http://www.simple-talk.com/community/forums/thread/93839.aspx

hunsnowboard
08-12-2010, 02:03 PM
UPDATE: After a few days of searching I was able to connect to the server. The problem was that I had to make a change in the rsreportingservices.config file.
I had to change the line <WebServicesAccount></WebServicesAccount> to <WebServicesAccount>IWAM_"machineName"</WebServicesAccount>.

(solution suggested by microsoft: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/911846)

So I was able to move on with my settings... but now I experience another problem.

In the Web Service Identy menu I can't set the ASP .NET Service Account. This by default is "computer name"\ASPNET. When I click apply I get an error message saying: "The account name is not valid. Specify an account in the form domain\alias.

I found a possibility on the net where someone made a new IIS application pool setting and was able to set the web service identity. My problem is that I have XP which means that the version of my IIS is 5.1...meaning that I cannot create or change application pool.
Does anyone have an idea what to do next??? I would appreciate it so much... :(