PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Multipage versus multiple forms in Excle

ncp
08-10-2010, 10:53 AM
Hi,

New here and new to Excel VBA, but writing apps for my son's dance class business.

Before I expand my full energy into writing codes, I need to nail down the basic structural question : what are the major pros & cons of multipage forms vs many single forms?

Is there is a good place that has already dealt with this question in details?

Thanks!
ncp -

Bob Phillips
08-10-2010, 11:49 AM
They are a lot simpler to manage, and are a more professional UI IMO.

GTO
08-10-2010, 01:37 PM
In total agreement with XLD - from the 'rookier' end of the room, whether thru controls' visibility or multipage etc, one UF is easier to pass/track args/vals. Again, from the rookie end.

Tinbendr
08-10-2010, 02:23 PM
what are the major pros & cons of multipage forms vs many single forms?
Sure!
By all means.
OK
Those are my favorite.
Without a doubt!
Absolutely!
That's my choice.
What's a computer again? :devil2:

ncp
08-10-2010, 03:42 PM
Thank you for the quick responses. Easier to manage is one very good reason.

Is there somewhere one of you can show me how well the multipage's tab can look? So far, the Excel bundle toolbox tabs looks not that professional in my opinion. Maybe you guys are talking about something a newbie like me don't know.

Thanks,
ncp :bow: :beerchug:

ncp
08-10-2010, 03:45 PM
One quickie question I forgot to ask in the usual design:

Is the normal multipage layout - multiple pages of forms covering a main parent Userform?

ncp

Bob Phillips
08-10-2010, 03:51 PM
No, it is multiple tabs on a single form.

ncp
08-10-2010, 04:53 PM
XLD,

When I inserted a multipage into a form, I have defulat 2 tabs with an area underneath each tab(which I assumed as the pages for the tabs). I can enlarge the area to cover the whole of the parent form. That's what i meant in my last post regarding multipage layout.

Regards,
ncp (and another for you...):beerchug:

Bob Phillips
08-11-2010, 12:02 AM
ncp,

I am not sure what the question is, but as you say you can enlarge the tab area just as you can enlarge the form area. You can add tabs, rename them, and so on. The big advantage to my mind is that all of the controls on each tab are easily available, but the screen is only cluttered by a few. That and the fact that each tab can cover a functional aspect of the application.

ncp
08-11-2010, 08:04 AM
Hi James,

Thanks. Do you have a ready sample of multipage forms that you can send me? (to satyr@singnet.com.sg). It may clear up my muddle head.

Thanks,
ncp

Bob Phillips
08-11-2010, 08:31 AM
Here is an example of one I did recently

Bob Phillips
08-11-2010, 09:04 AM
You can see it better at http://www.xldynamic.com/examples/Multipage.png

Paul_Hossler
08-11-2010, 03:38 PM
There's also the Tabstrip control to consider. It's sort of like the MultiPage, but is coded to a little differently

From Help ...

Should I use a MultiPage or a TabStrip?
If you use a single layout for data, use a TabStrip and map each set of data to its own Tab. If you need several layouts for data, use a MultiPage and assign each layout to its own Page.
Unlike a Page of a MultiPage, the client region (http://vbaexpress.com/forum/ms-help://MS.EXCEL.DEV.12.1033/EXCEL.DEV/content/HV01203278.htm) of a TabStrip is not a separate form, but a portion of the form that contains the TabStrip. The border of a TabStrip defines a region of the form that you can associate with the tabs. When you place a control in the client region of a TabStrip, you are adding a control to the form that contains the TabStrip.

My 2 cents ...

Paul

ncp
08-11-2010, 03:53 PM
Thank you James.

I mean more than the "how it looks" graphic of multipage. Some sample codes will be very helpful.

I could not find a single KB entry on Excel with a search on Multipage.

Regards,
ncp:help

Bob Phillips
08-11-2010, 04:25 PM
The code is the same as any other code. You reference the controls directly regardless of whether they are in a multipage or not.

The on;y specific code I can think of is selecting a page via code, which is rarely necessary

Multipage1.Value = 3

Bob Phillips
08-11-2010, 04:27 PM
BTW, James is James Thurber, an American humourist, not me. I was just quoting him.

ncp
08-11-2010, 06:29 PM
Hi xld,

My apology for calling you James. I've never heard of this humourist in this part of my world, but the quote is funny and provoked thoughts.

Thanks to you and all that replied and helped. I am getting the hang of multipage. This is a great VBA community!

Coding ahead!
:boxer:
ncp