PDA

View Full Version : SQL Express, Access front end deployment

Movian
08-27-2010, 06:44 AM
Hi,
We are currently finalizing our move from a a single access file (not a front end back end solution) to a SQL Express back end Access front end solution.

I have all the system changes done and we have a working system however now i turn to the challenge of deployment.

I have a development SQL database on my local machine that i need to distribute to clients. Meaning i need to setup SQL Express if they don't have it already (or another SQL server). Then i need to setup the database including the default data that we supply our system with.

I'm also looking at trying to setup a distribution system for the access database that will allow the system to set the connection string at install as most of the clients will be running Access Run time and will not be able to access the connections window. (I'm also thinking of writing a C# launcher app to check for updates, might incorporate this function in there. A quick check to make sure the SQL server is available and the database connection string will connect to it. If not alter the connection string).

So any suggestions on how to procede with getting these installer packages setup? i tried SQL server database publisher only to be met with error after error of (this is missing, can't connect to this etc).

Thanks in advance