PDA

View Full Version : opening new instance of Excel when opening file

touyets
08-30-2010, 12:15 AM
Hi all,

this should be mylast request really.

My file is all done and is awesome (thanks to some tweeks by you guys) but since it has a userform in it whne it opens, it means that it does not allow users to go to another Excel workbook (that has nothing to do with the one with the userform), meaning that they have to close the file whenever they want to access another excel file.

Is there a way around this? I've tried looking for answers for about a week now and can;'t find anything usefull.

I was thinking that having Excel open as a completely new instance when the file is open would solve this but I'm not sure if I am right in thinking this or if it is even possible.

Bob Phillips
08-30-2010, 01:57 AM
Open it modeless

UserForm1.Show vbModeless

touyets
08-30-2010, 03:12 AM
Thanks for the reply but it then allows them to also have access to the xcel sheet that was opened with the userform and I don't wnat them to have access to it.

I'll explain myself better (i'll try at least):
- when the excel spreadsheet opens, it appears but i have a userform that opens ontop of it taht doesn't allow access to the data on teh spreadsheet (that's fine since i don't want them to be able to just change data willy-nilly)
- if there is another excel workbook open at the same time I would like them to be able to view them whenever they wish without having to close the file with the userform.

Thanks xld for the input though, really appreciate it, pretty sure you've gotten me closer to a solution :)

Bob Phillips
08-30-2010, 04:12 AM
If you mean b y access that they cannot change it, you could protect it when you open the form, and unprotect it when you close it. This would work with my other suggestion, and is still better than another instance IMO.